SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upside down image

Hi all, I have a jessops telescope given to me for a christmas present and been having some great views of the night sky with it

moon jupiter and venus, and even mars. The moon being the best view as I have only the eyepieces that come with the scope. I have spotted four moons of jupiter albeit very faint but still very chuffed.

I now have a problem that my image has for some reason started to appear upside down. Could I resolve this by collimation.

Also I am thinking of getting the Orion StarShoot Solar System Color Imaging Camera IV any views on this camera.

Regards

Carl.:)

Are you sure the image was right-side-up originally? It's normal for the image to be left-to-right reversed and upside-down in a typical astronomical telescope, however some that are also sold as daytime telescopes may have an Erecting Prism which corrects these, something similar to this: First Light Optics - William Optics 1.25" 45 degree Erecting Prism

I'm not sure what would suddenly cause your image to turn upside-down, unless it is something as simple as part of the scope being upside-down or back to front.

Do you know what the model name is of the telescope?

some scopes like the astromasters from Celestron have an image erector built in, some cheaper scopes come with a 1.5x image erecting tube which goes on the focuser. If you are looking into space there is no need to see it right way up as the is no right way up in space. If you are also using your scope for terrestrial then you can get a image erecting tube or a diagonal. I have a tube laying around somewhere but have never used it.

It is a TA1100-102 reflecting scope, when I first started viewing I am sure I saw the moon the right way round, I have been seeing what everyone says that scopes do show the view the wrong way.

Maybe I should look into getting an erecting prism then.

Thanks

Regards Carl

Don't bother with an erecting prism in a reflecting scope. They are supposed to show an inverted image - it's quite normal and you soon get used to it. Put an erecting prism in there and the scope probably won't focus at all as it will run out of focuser travel.

The principle behind this is that light is precious to astronomers so no additional glass elements were used as they would cause some of that precious light to be lost through refraction or reflection.

Archived