SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Modded Canon, First Use

First time using a modded Canon 1000D, filter removed, no clip in's.

5 x 10secs, 10 x 30secs, 10 x 60secs, lights only.

Must say after only 16 minutes use I can already start to appreciate the potential of the camera. The other thing I noticed was how well the battery lasted throughout the night. Just got to get the processing side of things sorted.

post-15518-133877744894_thumb.jpg

Nice work Carl, the mod makes a lot of difference and will open up all those red objects that just don't respond very well without the mod. It makes quite a difference to galaxies as well.:)

Nice. You mentioned no clips (clip filters ?) - are you based in a light polluted area or out in the sticks. Reason I ask is that I'm having issues with the second hand 400D (lose shutter release socket) and might need to strip the camera down. If I did I may go the hole hog and attempt the filter removal as well, but as I have to use a CLS clip filter due to the light pollution here in Stevenage wondered if using this clip filter would have any negative effect on the modification.

Thank you everyone, have to say I'm mighty impressed. Todd I bought the camera body already modded for £285, from astrobuysell. It so happened the seller is a member of this forum, so I had trust in what I was buying.

Malc, thats correct, I used no clip in filters nor any other filters at any stage, I am fairly lucky that I live in a fairly good area with little light pollution. As far as I am aware folks do use the modded cameras with cls clip in filters with no ill effects so you should be ok. Peter would probably be able to answer better on this.

Think I'll get the Ha, SII and OIII filters next, but not cheap at around £400 to £450ish for the set of 3.

Peter, yes I would have to agree, those would be great targets and I look forwards to having a go at them, I would also like to add some more to M42 too, I must get into the habit of taking dark's, as I always seem to forget about them in my hurry to pack away and get processing the data, I just love seeing the detail coming through when playing with levels an curves in ps. I've been following the great tutorials on processing by Quatermass and finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Take your darks on cloudy nights - just record the temperature at the time. You will soon build up a library of them. Set yourself some "standard" exposure times to make life easier for yourself (I use 2min and 5min - if I need anything else then I have to take them specially).

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to achieve the modded 'look' without modding ? i.e using a certain filter instead ?

Im looking into getting either a second hand 350D or 450D and im not sure i want to mod it.

As soon as you mod it it becomes useless for everyday use

Nice pic Carl, did you mod it yourself?

I have to use a CLS clip filter due to the light pollution here in Stevenage wondered if using this clip filter would have any negative effect on the modification.

No problem using LP filters on a modded camera, highly recommended in fact because the reddish LP can wash out all that nice Ha.

Not true! I modded mine and use it happily as a daytime camera too. I replaced the filter with the baader clear glass one - this ensures AF still works normally.

Is there a way to achieve the modded 'look' without modding ?

I found that the easiest way to get good Ha response from an unmodded camera is just to get more data. Longer subs and more of them.

You can make a copy of the red channel, extract it to a new file as a greyscale image, overstretch it, run Noel's actions false Ha black sky then combine it with a non stretched copy of the red channel and then use this to replace the red channel in the original image...probably not worth the effort but you simulate the deep red colour of modded camera Ha response.

I have never uploaded any images treated like this because I found it made them a bit too noisy. I was really just practising for blending Ha layers for later on, but it does work.

No. You can just set a custom white balance to reduce the extra red.

Archived