Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Home made equipment.

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is any good to any of you other newbies, but I thought I would post a couple of photos just to show what can be done with some inexpensive bits lying around at home.

The first picture shows the dew shield, smart phone holder and camera holder that I have made for my Skymax 102 scope.

The other three photos show the items a little closer.

The dew shield was made from an A3 laminate sheet which was run through the laminator without anything inside (to keep it from rippling when it was rolled into a tube) and then covered with velveteen material on the inside. I used double sided tape which seems to work fine. It is held in the round with a couple of pieces of self adhesive Velcro.

The smart phone holder was made from some plastic support arms that I took off of one of those contraptions that you hang your ironing on once it is all nicely pressed. Ours collapsed under the weight of the ironing, so I salvaged what I could and threw the rest away. This allows me to use the Google Sky app as a star finder.

The camera holder is simply a piece of sink/bath drain pipe. One end I have enlarged by heating it gently and pushing a socket from a socket set inside which was just about the same size as the OD of my star diagonal. It does get a little tight when it gets cold so I am going to have to file it out a bit. The other end was just about right (with a bit of filing and sanding) to fit around the largest part of my Fuji F200EXR camera lens. Zoomed right in, it gives half decent results as can be seen below.

post-34179-133877744569_thumb.jpg

post-34179-133877744576_thumb.jpg

post-34179-133877744583_thumb.jpg

post-34179-133877744589_thumb.jpg

post-34179-133877744596_thumb.jpg

Hi Spaceboy,

The F200EXR is autofocus only unfortunately. I put it on full auto and let it do its thing. :hello2:

Some shots worked out, others, not so much.

I use the self timer so that the scope has time to stop vibrating after I have pressed the shutter release. I have only got an old Slik 88 camera tripod at the moment.

I am going to try with the full manual exposure/aperture setting the next chance I get. Good job I'm not using 35mm film - could get expensive! :)

Bryan

Hi Dan,

The dew shield helps to stop dew from forming on the objective lens. It enables you to get better, clearer views.

Imagine looking out of your car windscreen when it has steamed up!

Don't ask me how it works, :) but it does!

Hope that helps.

Bryan

Archived