Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10 inch practice dob

Daniel-K

as you already know im making a 16 inch dob which we about to polish the mirror with pitch. i have just bought a 10 inch mirror with a cell and secondary and a spider for £134 of astroboot a bargain i know, the reason for this is so that if i encounter any issues with this "mini" build then when i comes to building the 16" i should know how to overcome the issue and im desperate for a dob so i can get a hour or 2 in before clouds roll in instead of taking me 45 mins to set up everything else. im going to be very busy this year after planning an obsy build as well that im hoping is done at some point this year and to finish the 16 with Barry. should get the mirror on tuesday so will post some pictures then and getting the wood next week. hoping total build time is a few weeks

I think a smaller build for practice is an excellent idea. You will likely learn quite a bit. Even so, every telescope build is different so take care. Also, having a working 10" should help to thwart the temptation to hurry with the 16". I found it very helpful to have a working 8" while building a 20".

Good luck!

- Phyllis

• 2 weeks later...

so yesterday the mirror set arrived with a damaged secondary all sorted with scopes and skies very good after sales so now its time for the wood. im planning to make a light weight 10 inch f4.7 1200 focal length truss dob just to plonk out in between the clouds. inspired by sumerian optics designs something similar to that design. going to draw some plans for the box tonight and possibly get some wood this week

post-18942-133877750175_thumb.jpg

post-18942-133877750183_thumb.jpg

Archived