Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open university

if you start with an intro course in maths to get you up to speed and i also think they do a starter in astronomy now. Its ok. the foundation level will then introduce you to study again followed by the harder level 2 then level 3 if you require honours.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you start with an intro course in maths to get you up to speed and i also think they do a starter in astronomy now. Its ok. the foundation level will then introduce you to study again followed by the harder level 2 then level 3 if you require honours.

I guess they point you at the intro courses you need to do?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Most courses will tell you what skills and knowledge you need before attempting. They also will suggest courses you should consider before doing it.

Courses are arranged by "year" and unless you have a degree background you should certainly do some year 1 courses first.

There used to be 3 year 1 astronomy courses but I'm not sure if they still run. Good introduction to various aspects of Astronomy. You could combine with some Jodrell Bank courses in Radio Astronomy to get a Year 1 Certificate.

The recommendation for year 2 science courses is that you do the year 1 general science course first, plus some maths.

I did S282 last year and it really stretched me for maths.

Doing S283 AstroBiology & Planetary Science this year, less maths but a lot of chemistry!

Most courses will tell you what skills and knowledge you need before attempting. They also will suggest courses you should consider before doing it.

Courses are arranged by "year" and unless you have a degree background you should certainly do some year 1 courses first.

There used to be 3 year 1 astronomy courses but I'm not sure if they still run. Good introduction to various aspects of Astronomy. You could combine with some Jodrell Bank courses in Radio Astronomy to get a Year 1 Certificate.

The recommendation for year 2 science courses is that you do the year 1 general science course first, plus some maths.

I did S282 last year and it really stretched me for maths.

Doing S283 AstroBiology & Planetary Science this year, less maths but a lot of chemistry!

S283 is one of my favourites , the astrobiology is great.

Archived