Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open university

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S104 can be a handful if you're not ready, but if you already work in the science industry, you shouldn't have to much trouble. S104 is a 60pt course so I wouldn't take anything else at the same time if you dont have to. The Maths is pretty simple and it pretty much holds your hand through the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

I've just enrolled in my second third level course S383 having completed SXR208, S282, S283 and S382.

S382 uses the remote robotic 'scope at OAM. A 14" Celestron on an ME mount when I did it in its first year. (Upgraded now to a 17" CDK). Incredible experience.

Along with three other classmates I ended up publishing our investigation of a little known RS CVn star. We should appear in the BAA journal in the next 6 to 9 months. (The queue is quite impressive but the paper is on the ArVix server and you can find it from the NASA ADS site if you're that interested).

I can only say that the OU really did open up my horizons with regard to Astronomy and Astrophysics. I went from stargazing to publihed in three years.

It got me well and truly hooked.

Enjoy.

Regards

Tony

Hi Gents,

I've just enrolled in my second third level course S383 having completed SXR208, S282, S283 and S382.

S382 uses the remote robotic 'scope at OAM. A 14" Celestron on an ME mount when I did it in its first year. (Upgraded now to a 17" CDK). Incredible experience.

Along with three other classmates I ended up publishing our investigation of a little known RS CVn star. We should appear in the BAA journal in the next 6 to 9 months. (The queue is quite impressive but the paper is on the ArVix server and you can find it from the NASA ADS site if you're that interested).

I can only say that the OU really did open up my horizons with regard to Astronomy and Astrophysics. I went from stargazing to publihed in three years.

Enjoy.

Regards

Tony

Well done indeed - I read about the paper on the OU site, and saw it on the archive. A very impressive performance!

Hi Gents,

Enjoy.

Regards

Tony

Tony, I just read the OU news article, amazing achievement! I am following the same degree pathway as you (currently at level 2) and to know that this is possible gives me even more impetus to work hard and get the most out of my studies. Very inspiring.

Kudos!

Just a quick question about the courses at the open university, are they all done in yr home and when you finish each modal you send it off, or am I sounding daft, also if you claim working tax do you get some kind of subsidies, just asking because I would like to start a course but do not know what route to take, thanks guys

Just a quick question about the courses at the open university, are they all done in yr home and when you finish each modal you send it off, or am I sounding daft, also if you claim working tax do you get some kind of subsidies, just asking because I would like to start a course but do not know what route to take, thanks guys

There are lots of ways to pay - in fact the OU have just done a neww video about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--xQ8k7xO4w

As to course work - it depends a little on the exact course.

Usually you get books and DVDs as part of it, you read the books and watch the dvds or use software on them or such, or increasingly on the internet. Then typically there are 4-5 marked assignments you do during the course which can be from 3-9 months, and then either a final assignment for the first year courses typically, or a 3 hour exam for the more advanced courses.

Sometimes you have interactive computer marker assignments done online that may count towards your course, or may just be to check your knowledge.

You do the whole course in your home - more or less at your own speed - although the assignments have to be posted by deadlines. Some courses have tutorials which you can go to and get help for a couple of hours, although they are moving more to internet tutorials now.

I am starting the BSc Natural Sciences (Pathway in Astronomy and planetary science) in October. At the moment, I am not too worried about the subject matter, especially as it begins with S104 - which looks like a great module.

See you in October Chrissy!

For anyone else considering their science modules, the material you get is excellent as is the support from your tutor if you get stuck or need a bit of advice. Most of them contact you at the start of the course with their details, so they're only a call/text/email away.

It is a shame about the massive hike in prices though, albeit not the OU's fault, but for some modules which now run into several thousand pounds, the cost is going to be very prohibitive for some. (Especially for us astronomers, new scopes/eyepieces/cameras etc. don't just buy themselves you know!!!) I'm just relieved that I started in January and registered for the transitional arrangements to stay on the old fees, provided you carry on studying for the same qualification of course. I'm studying both for fascination and the potential to get a job which I actually like!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bit of bad news, I rang OU today, regarding the S10 and inquired about the part time student loan, and found I cannot qualify as i have a degree in another subject, which i took about 5ears ago, and for me that was the only route I could take as I cannot pa by other means :mad: :mad:

I got a bit of bad news, I rang OU today, regarding the S10 and inquired about the part time student loan, and found I cannot qualify as i have a degree in another subject, which i took about 5ears ago, and for me that was the only route I could take as I cannot pa by other means :mad: :mad:

Ronnie,

What about their OUSBA (OU Student Bursary Account, I think) where the cost of the module is split over the length of the course and you pay monthly, the interest is a very small amount. Would this help, or is the overall cost still too high?

Helen

Hi Helen, unfortunately it is, as I am unemployed at the moment, although we do have a small business which my wife runs, we also have 6 children and claim working tax, so you see the only means possible would have been the loan

I'm currently doing s177 galaxies stars and planets, and am just applying for s104 as part of an open degree, as I'm out of work due to my new disabled status I can get funding for it, I've just got to hunt down my very out of date passport to prove I really am a Geordie er British that is, right off to turn the house upside down in a search for it.

Danielle if you can get me the info as to where you managed to get funding, I would much apreciate it

Ronnie

Try this link http://www8.open.ac.uk/study/explained/how-to-apply/financial-support it took me a while to get enough information and find the right page, in the end I phone4d the number, spoke to a very nice Lady who tagged my course with the relevant funding option and sent me the forms to fill in. :smiley:

Well - it means its a few years out of date, and you can't take the course as its been retired.

I should think a large percentage of the stuff is still relevant. I believe its the course that was subsequently split up into S282/283, although some bits were left out and lots was updated (mainly cosmology and exoplanets I suspect - but then S283 exoplanets is out of date as every day there are more!)

You can buy the S282 course books on amazon - a lot cheaper than doing the course - especially now!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Sun-Stars-Simon-Green/dp/0521546222

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Galaxies-Cosmology-Mark-Jones/dp/0521546230

I can dig out the S283 links too if you're interested.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my final year now hopefully!!!! , S282 was great fun, the observing etc. if I can be of any assistance at any point don't hesitate to ask(Pm), I'm not saying i can definately help but sometimes just an extra head helps, I wish i had had one.

How doable is this kind of thing for someone who passed o level maths and biology at school but hasn't touched much of that since leaving (a long time ago). Is there good prep stuff in books to get up to speed that people use?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived