Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open university

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah excellent! I'm halfway through S283, and I intend to pick up either S282 or SXP288 in 2013.

I must admit, I'm concerned that I struggled with the Chemistry aspect of things. Molecules and whatnot have never been my strong point. Im just hoping I can power through and not let it drag everything else down too much.

On the subject of SXP288, whats the costing like for the residential in Majorca? As that is definitely the route I would opt to take, it just seems more worthwhile.

Hi IainMcD

Hoping to register for this years S10 (S282, S283)

I've had a look at the guide "Are you ready for S282" and feel comfortable with it.

my background is electrical & electronic eng where I covered the maths and some physics, although it was a while back.

Do you have a similar / engineering / numerate background ?

The reason for asking is that many people post an opinion of these courses but don't give clues as to their school / college background and it's difficult to gauge / compare their experience with how I might find it.

Cheers

This is more of a big career change for me. I have a an IT Degree, and I was previously employed by the Navy in the Communications/Signals branch.

My only science background comes from GCSE/A Level Physics and reading a ton of books. Hawkings, Cox etc

The maths in S282 I found pretty reasonable, mostly algebra. No calculus as such, but a bit of knowledge of equation rearranging and use of logs is good.

S283 is a lot easier on the maths, and focuses a bit more on geological process, a little bit of chemistry and biology.

I really enjoyed the first part of S283. Got 88 and 84 on the first two assignments. Then the Chemistry and Biology questions hit in Third and things didn't go so well. Still, picking myself and buckling down for the Final Assignment and the Exam! I've read that SXP288 is recommended as the final Level 2 course for the Astronomy pathway, so I'll take S282 next round.

i loved every bit of the s194 course- i mean when you enjoy something you study it helps a loooong way, and it showed as it got into the 80/90%s

i did every activity and often look through the books for quick refresh when i need it before i study more in depth (which ive already started)

mmmm....good luck with that haha just human nature- the more passion you have/put in the more you get out

there should be a stimulant you can take called 'interest gain' -gain instant and undying passion for the one you dont love ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The increased fees are due to the introduction of tuition fees (not OUs fault.)

If you're already studying, then S282 is £410 next year.

I'm finishing up S104

Will start MST121 in Oct 12

Will start S282 in Feb 13

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am starting the BSc Natural Sciences (Pathway in Astronomy and planetary science) in October. At the moment, I am not too worried about the subject matter, especially as it begins with S104 - which looks like a great module. But the work load? How have you guys found it? And..the Maths, how has that been. Not my strongest point!

I work in Organic and Inorganic Chemistry so hoping that part of it won't be too bad, and I studied and somehow passed Physics :headbang: for a year.

Any suggestions/advice gratefully accepted! Or shall I run now whilst I have the chance? :)

Seriously considering doing one of the second level courses starting in November or February. I did a degree in maths and physics with the OU nearly 30 years ago now and I have to say the courses were brilliant. I've no reason to suppose that is no longer the case. I'm sure you will get a tremendous amount out of it. Good luck with it!

Chris

Thank you! :)

I am excited but a bit nervous about it, just the amount of work and fitting it around my job and other commitments. I almost went for Physics again myself, but more drawn to the Astronomy.

5 months more freedom then eh? :headbang: then head down for SIX years!!

Hi Chrissy

Started this thread a while back, the courses are great, I should if all goes well finish the natural science degree in astronomy/physics next october. The most important thing is getting the courses in the right order as many build on previous ones. And of course don't attempt to much 60 points a year works for me but did 90 last year and results can suffer when rushing. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Archived