Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keeping warm

sanmatt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its the same idea as hillwalking etc you want layers of clothin ,base layers [breathable ]near skin then mid layer then outer layer same goes for tootsies thin sock, outer sock, boot.

As has been said by a couple already, circulation is key for your feet. Buy boots with enough space for a couple of layers and don't tie them tight. Same goes for your legs, keep them comfortably snug. One other thing that's good is to stand on a few layers of corrugated cardboard or a foam kipmat. That makes a world of difference to me.

get yourself a good pair of rigger boots thermal lined . keep yer tootsies warm . start from yer feet up. a bit late but know what this weathers like CAN CREEP UP ON YA Brrr.:)

yea i know not very ladlike but keeps the cold out . thats your feet sorted ,above there ..... ? layers are good being an " on site worker"

the only thing that ever froze woz the smoke off me ciggie . LOL. :)

Yep, biggest thing is keeping your legs wind proof. You would be surprised how much body heat is lost from the legs in a gentle breeze when wearing say jeans. Even in still conditions while sat down it is the largest region of your body that is radiating to the open sky. Literally sucking the heat out of you.

Think of yourself as a radiator. And as an astronomer you are working in clear skies. Hence space itself wants the heat from your body and will suck it out of you. Anything you can do to "hide" your body parts from the heavens will keep you warmer.

Cheers

Ian

I have found that wearing a pair of silk liner gloves keeps the warmth in and you can take off your outer glove and still retain the 'feel' in your fingers to replace eyepieces, re-focus etc. The best thing I have found for providing warmth is a Peacock Pocket Warmer. They are available from Amazon and cost around £20 - £25. It takes lighter fuel and you can fill and light it indoors. You then blow out the flame and the thing starts to pump out heat. I have used one fishing and it gave around 8 hours of warmth from one filling. Great to put in a pocket (it comes with a fabric pouch to hold it) and bring out when you need it.

Archived