sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Normally I am Roasty McToasty in my 9 layers of troos - tights, long johns, joggy bottms etc, but today I bought a pair of thick ski trousers. Apparently waterproof, breathable windprrof, water repeelent, and with tapered seams.

Should I still have something on underneathe them? Even if its just a pair of long john, or should I not need anything else?

What do you guys/girls do?

thanks

And they were £25 down from £60 :)

Buy Headturn Trouser | at Dare2b.com Cycling & Adventure Gear

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try them with maybe long john's but they should be ok without tbh

ps i use a nomex firesuit[it's a heavy flame retardent boiler suit] its like wearing a double douvet with an electic blanket on:). not exactly fashionable but the fox who lives in my garden doesn't seem to mind[unless he laughs later on when i'm not there

Theyre very snug fitting so if I wear anything underneathe, theyd have to be quite thin. So I shall try them with long johns and hopefully that should be enough. Might keep some joggys in the car though just in case.

thanks

Ah right, are they better than ordinary ones? (might go back to the hiking shop, they had a good sale on)

One thing I do struggle with is my toes. I cannot get my feet warm.

I feel you can have a lot of flexibility in what you wear on your body as long as you wear a really warm hat, and some good fingerless gloves. Some even have flaps you can put over your fingers when you don't need dexterity.

Those socks seem like a great idea - must nip down and get some. Anyone have any suggestions for hands? My wife seems to really suffer in the cold (maybe poor circulation), and woolen mittens just don't seem to do the job...I'd like to get her something else so she can stay outside with me longer.

Don't pack yourself too tight, you do actually need the blood to be able to circulate, especially to the feet.:)

It usually the trapped air that is that is the insulation and keeps you warm - that's how feathers operate in down jackets. Excluding the air by everything being tight makes you colder.

Edited by Capricorn

Indeed, keep it loose. :)

If your feet are cold because of standing on a cold surface (rather than circulation issues) consider a pair of Thinsulate boots. I suffer from cold feet and found they work really well.

Cheers

Ian

Those socks seem like a great idea - must nip down and get some. Anyone have any suggestions for hands? My wife seems to really suffer in the cold (maybe poor circulation), and woolen mittens just don't seem to do the job...I'd like to get her something else so she can stay outside with me longer.

I use glove liners under my normal gloves and the layering makes a big difference, the liners i got are just cheapy £3 Karrimor ones from Sport Direct but they really do the trick.

for the hands i use Cotton Forchette Gloves - Safety & Inspection Gloves | Just Gloves these as undergloves and then Matrix Fingerless Gloves | Fingerless Gloves | Just Work Gloves cheap work gloves [even cheaper as my work provides both:)

sanmatt theyre the duvet of the foot world [mine's are all black [and smelly lol] but my work gave me a £100 cash to help the cost [was training gas engineers in trofors to do a gas pipeline]

Edited by dtr42