Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

buying a barlow ?

I do not know the manufacturer but in old parlance I would not touch it with barge pole Lol, it is far too cheap, the Tal 2x or 3x is probably your best bet or the Celestron Ultima but that is quite expensive, and one other thing you may not have thought of in your calculations is, if you mount your barlow ahead of your diagonal, you will increase you mag by a further 50% :D

The one you're looking at looks like a cheap plastic type. I have just bought a tal and it is a good barlow, I also had a celestron barlow that wasn't the ultima but was very good too. Dont buy a barlow that looks too cheap because it will be made to a budget and you'll regret it.

one other thing you may not have thought of in your calculations is, if you mount your barlow ahead of your diagonal, you will increase you mag by a further 50% :D

I never knew that! .. thank you glowjet. I'll try it when I can to see what the difference is.

I do not know the manufacturer but in old parlance I would not touch it with barge pole Lol, it is far too cheap, the Tal 2x or 3x is probably your best bet or the Celestron Ultima but that is quite expensive, and one other thing you may not have thought of in your calculations is, if you mount your barlow ahead of your diagonal, you will increase you mag by a further 50% :)
can you please explain what you mean by "mount your barlow ahead of your diagonal" please ?

I've found the Celestron Ultima 2x barlow to be good, but for imaging (which is the only time I tend to use them) I've found the Revelation 2.5x barlow to be equally satisfactory and a good deal cheaper.

In principle I'd probably agree with Tinker that given the available cash it's better to buy an eyepiece that gives you the required magnification. Looking at the range of eyepieces you already have, I'm not sure what you'd gain visually by having the 3x barlow.

James

Archived