Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

jasperuk

Preston and surrounding area Night under the stars

You have a darksite .... ?

Just so everyone know i have asked if we can have a "Preston and Lancashire Stargazers" sub-group so all the requests to meet up will go on there and not get lost in the thousands of general threads posted each day

we go here http://www.forestry.gov.uk/delamereforestpark

with LAS milkyway can easily been seen but would like to venture out and meet some new peeps :)

Edited by Daniel-K

46 miles and 1 hour down the M6 for me and if its as good as you say i think we have found another possible site to go

Cheers

its a great sight but i dont know were i would stand with Liverpool astronomical society bringing in other people to the park? i know they have an agreement with the park rangers that if it wants to be used then it is to be booked but i will ask them. but i dont mind going else were to be honest would mind just getting out of liverploop! for some decent sky either way i hope this goes ahead

I say as soon as the weather gives us a few days grace, I believe the weather tomorrow will be reasonable but it also maybe too short notice for most.

If nothing else i may do a drive round the sites so far mentioned and see how good or not they are. Unfortunatly i dont have a portable scope for a test and i am not setting up the main scope all on my own, again safety in numbers is sensible.

I am not very good at this sort of thing either do we pick dates and stick to them or check the weather for a gap in the cloud ?

Edited by jasperuk

Anyone available for a quick few hours trip up beacon fell if the weather holds out tomorrow ?

I would mate, but I need to sort out a mobile power supply before I can go mobile.. I thought I could use my car cigarette lighter socket, but it seems I'd be stuck on the top of the hill with a flat battery if I did that!

Could you not run the car occasionally during the night, i can give you a life home if it gives up :) or just use mine to run your scope

I got clearance to go tonight if anyone is interested meet up just before dark on the car park beacon fell or Jeffrey hill

No problem mate we can arrange later, i got some baking, football and tea to be getting on with for now....

Two jobs down just chicken tea to finish then sort the scope ready for a nights star gazing

sounds great count me in for began fell if your going i am also a dad with a little one so not too late!

I'll be up for a meeting, the more the safer also..

Hi did you met up last night? would love to have made it but didnt get home from work until 9 and after a 13 hour day all i was fit for was bed,it was an excellent night for a bit of gazing.

Regards

Ben