Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my 1st poor go at a DSO

bm1980

Hi all this is my first attempt at imaging a dso, of course it is the obvious easy target M42. All coments welcome, i would like to know if i can improve on this. I know that i am limited by my setup as its not an eq mount. This was compiled of 20 or so 10 second exposures at iso 1600 .

Regards

Ben

post-24720-133877743769_thumb.jpg

Hi and thanks for the comments, i think the image has a lot of noise, if i was to add more darks (only added 6 to this) how many darks should i take?

and capture in RAW format would i see a lot of improvement on this image?

Regards

Ben

Gongratulations!!!!

Well, for a first, I'd say this is not bad at all! especially without an EQ mount. I remember my firs deep sky image... It was also M42, but guided by hand on Ektar1600 film. This colour picture still has special meaning to me even 25 years later.

You'll treasure that one no doubt. But you'll have to think about getting an equatorial mount, which will make your life alot easier.

Well done

Serge

Hi Ben

Great start, taking darks and flats will certainly help if you want some help have a look at my blog theres photoshop tuts and lots of stuff on there that you may find helpful :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

thanks will have a read through your blog

Regards

Ben

nice first go, M42 is not an easy target, too long an exposure and the central core gets burnt out, too short an no detail/faint stuff. I take it it was unguided, which makes it a great achievement, well done.

Thanks carl

Regards

Ben

Gongratulations!!!!

Well, for a first, I'd say this is not bad at all! especially without an EQ mount. I remember my firs deep sky image... It was also M42, but guided by hand on Ektar1600 film. This colour picture still has special meaning to me even 25 years later.

You'll treasure that one no doubt. But you'll have to think about getting an equatorial mount, which will make your life alot easier.

Well done

Serge

Thanks Serge, yes i will have to get an eg mount i think, 30 years in astronomy wow you have probablly forgot more than i know :)

Regards

Ben

Archived