Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

big moon

estwing

it looks big because of perspective ie what is in front/behind it gives a larger or smaller looking moon . if you put your thumb out and block the moon from your eye it will always be covered [it's your brain's way of sorting out your sorrounding] have a read at this HowStuffWorks "Why does the moon look so much bigger near the horizon?" both figures are the same size it's how your mind perceives it

slow typing lol

its because of the atmosphere, the lower down to the horizon the sun or moon is the more atmosphere you are looking through to view the sun/moon the more it is magnified

lol i dont know where you got the above link or where they got their "info" if you belive that you can also belive in astrology or creationisim ...:headbang:

if its an optical illusion then why does it look normal sized when high up in sky ?? why does perspective stop working when its high in the sky ?? ..

. perhaps we are looking through less atmosphere ...nah i dont belive it :D

ps this is the best laugh i have had in ages ....

pps why also does the sun change colour when it is low down ?? is it anything to do with looking through 1000s miles of atmosphere , ..... nah it must be an optical illusion .....lol pmsl

simple test,

next time you see a full moon that looks very big extend your arm as far as it will go and put your thumb up look at the moon with 1 eye and at your thumb amazingly the moon will disapear as your thumb will block it. yet looking at it the moon is obviously a lot bigger than your thumb :D

its because of the atmosphere, the lower down to the horizon the sun or moon is the more atmosphere you are looking through to view the sun/moon the more it is magnified

lol i dont know where you got the above link or where they got their "info" if you belive that you can also belive in astrology or creationisim ...:headbang:

if its an optical illusion then why does it look normal sized when high up in sky ?? why does perspective stop working when its high in the sky ?? ..

pps why also does the sun change colour when it is low down ?? is it anything to do with looking through 1000s miles of atmosphere , ..... nah it must be an optical illusion .....lol pmsl

Fair enough :)

If that is the case the why do the planets look no bigger when observed lower down in the atmosphere?

Why do they still appear the same size at say 100x and not look like they are magnified 200x?

;)

lol i dont know where you got the above link or where they got their "info" if you belive that you can also belive in astrology or creationisim ...:D

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, it's hard to tell, if you're not and I'm missing the joke then I apologise. Everyone is entitled to their point of view but there's no need to be rude about it.

It is an optical illusion. There is a very good explanation in "The Backyard Astronomers Guide" by Terrence Dickinson and Alan Dyer.

If you don't believe it then the simplest way to demonstrate it is to take a picture of the moon when it's low in the sky and then again when it's much higher. Compare the 2 images and they moon will be exactly the same size in both. This is the case no matter where in the sky the moon appears.

I think Atmospheric distortion is not a the answer. check out this link . No idea what actually causes it but I love looking at the huge moon just above the horison.

Well I'm going to find out the answer from a really great and knowledgable astronomy forum, they will definately know....

oh wait a minute.....

lol :D

hemihaggis, maybe we should thank you because you've provided a prime example of why this misconception is so common - it's not easy to believe that it is the same size, but it is. Such is the nature of an optical illusion. Our perception of the world around us is so easily misled and our brains so easily fooled.

To complicate things slightly, atmospheric refraction is a real thing, which does cause a slight bending of the light very close to the horizon. Believe it or not, this means that you can still see the sun/moon for a little while after it has completely dropped below the horizon! It won't make the moon appear larger though - if anything, it could squash the image a bit as can be seen in this image from space: File:Full moon partially obscured by atmosphere.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the moon is a little bit further away from the observer when setting - so in fact it appears a bit smaller regardless of the refraction!

http://stargazerslounge.com/attachment.php?attachmentidhttp://stargazerslounge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81855&stc=1&d=1331305559=81854&stc=1&d=1331305559

Moon rise over the Med last September. As you can see, the moon looks bloated near the horizon due to diffraction( I think!) by the atmosphere. Later it is a normal disc shape. The different sizes are merely due to different zoom levels on the camera.

post-29676-133877744428_thumb.jpg

post-29676-133877744437_thumb.jpg

Archived