SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pros and Cons of buying a CCD camera

Hi Folks,

I suspect this question has been asked a good few times ... and I've found a few answers ... but not really the answers that I'm looking for.

My set up first ... I have a SW200p on a HEQ5 Pro mount. My main interest at the moment is imaging planets and the moon using my trusty Philips 880C web cam. What I'd really like to do is to capture better images (for better read sharper ... more details etc etc ... I know that better and sharper can equate to better collimation and seeing conditions ... but fancy spending some money).

Been looking at the Image Source CCD cameras.

i) Will I need a separate adapter to fit the camera onto the SW200p draw tube (1.25"). Will it also work with a SW150PL?

ii) Will the IC Capture software run on Windows XP?

iii) Is the difference between the DMK21AU04.AS camera and the DMK21AU618.AS camera just the chip vintage and sensitivity?

Would the DMK21AU04.AS camera be an improvement over the web cam?

iv) The mono camera is said to be 'better' then the equivalent colour camera (in terms of sensitivity) ... but how much better is the colour camera compared to the colour 880 web cam? Does anyone have any comparison image that they could show me?

v) Can the avi files be processed in the same way using Registax as those produced using the web cam?

I've probably have more questions as time goes by.

Many thanks

Pete

Hi Folks,

i) Will I need a separate adapter to fit the camera onto the SW200p draw tube (1.25"). Will it also work with a SW150PL?

The camera has 1,25" Nosepiece and fits every focuser with 1,25" holder (so it will fit those Newtonians)

ii) Will the IC Capture software run on Windows XP?

Yes, plus you also can use FireCapture that has some extra features :D

iii) Is the difference between the DMK21AU04.AS camera and the DMK21AU618.AS camera just the chip vintage and sensitivity?

old one gives circular artifacts at 60FPS so 60 FPS can't be used on planets. In the new AU618 the problem is fixed + the sensitivity is much higher.

Would the DMK21AU04.AS camera be an improvement over the web cam?

Yes, a big one :headbang:

iv) The mono camera is said to be 'better' then the equivalent colour camera (in terms of sensitivity) ... but how much better is the colour camera compared to the colour 880 web cam? Does anyone have any comparison image that they could show me?

IF the seeing is very good and the planet is high on the sky - similar results.... but if Saturn is as low as it is, or the seeing isn't as good, or you want even better images than RGB can give - then mono will win. With a mono camera if you aren't planning shooting R,G,B at start with all those filters you can start with a infrared passing filter and shoot mono luminance that will be much "sharper" and detailed than standard color image from the visual range (you can use filters like red visual, or for very bright stuff - Astronomik ProPlanet 742).

v) Can the avi files be processed in the same way using Registax as those produced using the web cam?

Yes... but there are other new tools - like Castrator and Autostakkert for even "better" or easier stacking process

Thanks very much for your replay. Just what I was looking for.

Quick question about the mono camera ... you mentioned an infrared passing filter ... is that just an ordinary IR filter that you can screw into the nose piece of the camera?

The 'shoot mono luminance' part ... is that controlled by the IC capture software?

Sorry ... two questions there.

Cheers

Pete

The 'shoot mono luminance' part ... is that controlled by the IC capture software?

It's just imaging with one "good" filter. Luminance term is used in mono imaging for an image that gives best details/sharpness. No special support is needed.

To get color images out of mono camera you need RGB filters - you shoot R,G,B avis and in the end you get RGB color image. That can be also improved by making an LRGB image using the infrared luminance (IR passing, not IR/UV cutting filter).

The IR pass filter does the opposite of the normal IR blocking filter. It allows IR light to reach the sensor but blocks other the wavelengths.

Peter

Do-ho ... there I go again having another senior moment. Thanks ... it's obvious when you think about it.

I take it that the IR pass filter is like a normal screw in type.

Cheers

Pete

Archived