Is my scope meeting its potential?

I don't have the reference, but you can get a mask to fit on the front of the SCT to aid collimation adjustment ( looks a bit like the radiation warning symbol). Produces 3 lines from a star target that you use the collimation screws to align so that the tips touch. Also filters will help with contrast to see features.

Really? I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but does this basically allow me to collimate the telescope without actually locking in on a far off object? Essentially, you're collimating to whatever is shown on the mask? If that's the case, I'm getting that right away!

Thanks for all your help.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool down time is also important for your type of scope, how long are you leaving it out before using? My mak can take 1.5 hours to cool if taken out from indoors, then it will give great images. I believe Cassegrains need less because the front plate is thinner but it will still need plenty of time.

The moon is a bit of a red herring really because it tends to look pretty amazing through anything and takes high magnification quite easily.

Mars is very tricky, and variable. I have had very good, and quite rubbish sessions on it. Sometimes lots of detail, others literally none.

I do think larger scopes tend to be more sensitive to seeing, particularly at longer focal lengths and for planetary use. Smaller refractors can often cut through poorer seeing better. As per previous poster, I can see clear bands on jupiter, plus GRS and shadow transits when they occur, with a 66mm apo doublet refractor.

In summary..... Leave it out to cool for a decent amount before using. Star test it and collimate it if it needs it. Try on a number of different nights to get good seeing, and avoid observing over houses if possible. Provided it stays clear, things often look much better as they get higher, and as the atmosphere cools and stabilises in the early hours. Lastly, be patient at the eyepiece, it takes a while to get your trained to see the detail, and there will be moments of very good seeing when the detail suddenly snaps into focus. That reminds me, don't chase the focus, get it right, then leave it and wait for the seeing to clear.

Enough rambling, hope that is of some help

Good luck

Stu

You know, you just might have hit the nail on the head here. I totally forgot about the whole thermal equilibrium thing. I remember reading about that when I first bought my telescope, but didn't pay much mind to it because, in my ignorance, I didn't really think it would have much influence. In retrospect, the nights when I looked at Mars were ones when I started viewing immediately after setup. That may also explain why Jupiter's bands went from viewable to completely washed out on different nights.

Thanks so much for the tip! Now I can't wait 'til the weekend! This time I'll make sure to give it an hour or so of cooldown.

Mars is a very demanding object. Indeed, I have yet to observe it properly myself in the rig in my sig even when scope has been out coolign for two hours. Then again, I am normally back inside at 10PM and by that time it is not at its highest.

Unless conditions almost perfect all you'll get is a shimmering orange ball, perhaps with a very indistinct polar cap and maybe suggestions of green markings. But always "did I see that" or "was that really there" in your mind; I have never clearly *looked at* anything on Mars yet personally. Not surprising when you consider its only half the size of earth and tens of millions of miles away!

Stick with it!!! It'll still be there tomorrow and next year and next century...

Steve

Archived