SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

(noob question) SkyWatcher 2x barlow - large amount of internal reflections

gazen

I have recent bought a SkyWatcher 127 telescope which came with a 2x barlow. I have tried to use it on a couple of occasions but there is a lot of internal reflection within the tube which is causing 'ghosting' (if you can understand what I mean). Is this normal for a Barlow? Is this normal for this particular barlow? From reading other posts the Tal barlow appears to be highly regarded, and I am thinking of scrapping the SkyWatcher and getting the Tal instead?

Your comments are welcome.

Does this "ghosting" happen when you are just using an eyepiece without a barlow ?.

Good quality barlows should not show undue light scatter or "ghosting" but the ones supplied with scopes are not of the best quality of course.

Hi John, Thank you for replying. No, the ghosting only happens with the barlow and when you look through the it just by itself you can see the reflections. I am primarily a photographer and camera lenses have anti-reflective coatings on the inside but this barlow doesn't appear to have anything like that.

As I said I am in the market for a new barlow and probably a couple (or three) new eyepieces as well.

Kit eyepieces and barlow are generally very poor, although I'm surprise to hear they don't have anti reflection coatings. Were you looking at planets? Bright planet like Jupiter and Venus can produce lens flare even on expensive glass.

What's your budget on the replacement barlow and eyepieces. It's worth considering the Baader Hyperion Clickstop zoom. 1 eyepiece will cover most focal lengths you need and optically better than many cheaper eyepieces.

A single zoom eyepiece covering 8-24mm as per the Baaser Hyperion would cost less than three decent eyepieces covering the same range, especially if the optical quality is as good as the fixed focal lengths.

Archived