Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Should I be using a filter?

ottoman

Should I be using a filter when looking at the moon? It seems sooo bright tonight, it definetly affected my vision in my right eye for a bit!

If so what filter do I buy? The scope is a skywatcher explorer 130

I don't use a filter to view the Moon - my largest scope is 250mm. Yes, it's bright (especially when full) but I find my eye soon adjusts. It's not going to actually harm your eye.

There are observers who do like to use a filter which is fine. It's not a mandatory requirement though, in my opinion.

The moon does not do much for your darkness adaptation for a while of course but viewing faint deep sky objects when there is a bright moon in the sky is not really fruitful anyway.

A filter is useful in reducing brightness.

Do you wear glasses. If you do, sun glasses could be a cheap alternative. I need to wear spectacles to correct for astigmatism, so I just wear my prescription sun glasses instead of my normal one when I observe the moon. Does the same job, one less piece of glass.

You can leave the end cap on and just take off the little 2" one that help to keep the light down.

You could do but it would cut the resolving power of your scope down so much it would be like using a 2" scope.:D

Small craters and detail would disappear.

I wouldnt recommend it.

Regards Steve

As for the topic of filter, despite the full moon last night was impatient to try my new astronomik UHC filter on the Orion Nebula. Have a LX 90 8" scope, put in a 21 ethos EP with the filter and despite the full moon it was an amazing sight. the filter made a great different in quality and definition of view. can't wait to dark and clear skies

Archived