Just WOW!!!

Good evening everyone!

Just been outside for about 20 minutes star hopping with the Celestron SkyMaster 15x70's. Was I in for a treat? This was really my first proper look with a larger pair of binos than the ones we have.

Found Orions' Nebula!! That was beautiful. Then!!! I found the 7 sisters!! I'd only ever seen a really faint view of them with my eyes, seen pictures online but nothing beats seeing them with your own eyes!

Reading a previous thread I have only just found that these are the Pleiades (Please correct me if I'm wrong) They were beautiful.

I'm going to give it about half hour, see if the moon comes a bit further over the house for a better view!!

I'm hoping to get a better view of Jupiter tomorrow. I only have a short window before it disappears behind more houses!:D

Sounds great.... (and just like me lol) I have just come in from looking at the moon :D Starting to learn the crater names :headbang:

Good luck with Jupiter tomorrow :)

Hello shellfish. Thanks for the comment! You're trying to learn crater names? I wouldn't know where to begin! Ha!

Hopefully it'll be a lot clearer tomorrow. Only had literally 5 or so minutes on Jupiter before it disappeared. Unfortunately I couldn't get it focused fast enough to look at the moon!!

Good luck learning the names:)

Just been out there looking at the moon too. So mesmerising and I want to learn all the main seas and craters too!

I got a book today - Moon Observers Guide by Peter Grego, and whilst I've only had a quick flick, it looks amazing! Gives a day by day account of what changes and what is visible on the moon, great for bin and scope gazers alike!

As well as moon maps and all that jazzy stuff too.

m31, andromeda galaxy is a fairly easy target to locate,

try this one on a moonless night,

i have the same binos and their great, good luck

Where I'm situated I can't get andromeda in view! Ill have to find somewhere pretty local that's not built up and has less light pollution. Liverpool isn't exactly the darkest place regarding lights! Ha

Thank you for your help.

Tom.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i4od2x

Just been out there looking at the moon too. So mesmerising and I want to learn all the main seas and craters too!

I got a book today - Moon Observers Guide by Peter Grego, and whilst I've only had a quick flick, it looks amazing! Gives a day by day account of what changes and what is visible on the moon, great for bin and scope gazers alike!

As well as moon maps and all that jazzy stuff too.

Hello Miranda.

I've seen from a few I your posts that you seem to be really enjoying your experiences!

Shellfish kindly past on a link that has all the crater names on and has grid references too!

Thanks for the comment.

Tom.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i3qcq3

You may struggle with M1 at the moment due to the full Moon. It's quite a faint and defuse object.

Have a crack at the the double cluster in Perseus instead - it's a wonderful Bino target.

You may struggle with M1 at the moment due to the full Moon. It's quite a faint and defuse object.

Have a crack at the the double cluster in Perseus instead - it's a wonderful Bino target.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to drive out to a clear speck. Perseus is behind the houses by the time I get back home sadly!

Thanks again!

Tom.

After looking forward to a good session later on, it's completely overcast and looks like it's going to be on all night!:headbang::D

I'd second that and add maybe the three open clusters in Auriga (M36, M37 and M38) which should be clearly visible in your bins.

M31, the Andromeda galaxy is getting quite low in the sky now but the pair of galaxies (M81 and M82) in Ursa Major will be possible in a decent sky, though they may take some finding.

Happy hunting!

Archived