Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 130m dirty mirror

When setting up my scope today I have noticed that inside the tube and the mirror are quite dusty. Now I will not attempt to go messing around with the mirror, as I guess its delicate and requires setting up when removed.

When I was setting up the scope today It did not seem to have affected the visual quality. Has anyone got any advice on maybe cleaning?

Hi, well I know what your saying, it takes seconds to mess up the most vital part of any telescope. I had a TAL1 for many years, and it did get dusty on the mirror too, on the back it had 3 screws to release with the mirror built in that back, your scope may be the same? we just use to remove the back, and wipe the mirror with a slightly damp 2 or 3 ply tissue, and dry with a clean one while the mirror was still damp. As long as you use nothing dry that will scratch you ought to be able to do it.

Our telescope was as good as new after 12 years of use when I sold it.

There are a few videos out there for cleaning mirrors. It's generally NOT advised to touch it, even with a tissue.

The best method is to use a bulb type puffer to blow any loose dust/hairs off, and if needed, rinse under a tap, maybe with some soapy water, and then rinse with distilled water to avoid watermarks when dry.

What is a bulb type puffer? haha. There are 6 screws in total on the back, I think 3 are for mirror adjustment as they seem to be protruding out of the back. And there are another 3 that are screwed all the way in. If I remove the 3 that have been screwed all the way in will the mirror come away from the scope? I really dont want to get this wrong!

The 6 on the back of the scope will be locking screws and collimation screws, neither of which will release the mirror cell. The screws you're after should be around the side of the tube, and look as though they screw into the side of the mirror. Remove them, and the mirror cell should either fall out or pull out. :D

and a bulb puffer -

bulb640.jpg

Ottoman,

I am a State Registered Idiot with twenty five thumbs on each hand but cleaning a mirror is easy. Plenty of water, a drop or two of washing up liquid, BP cotton wool, distilled or BP water and a little TLC.

Okay so it was a second hand eight inch so if the mirror was wrecked, the re-coat was affordable but despite making three-quarters of a century next month, please keep your fingers crossed :D, managed it. Don't play football with it and don't use as a burning glass, a quick look at Dion's solar barbecue cures that aspiration.

Give it a try young feller-me-lad, good tools and care is all it needs, so go for it.

Hi, well I know what your saying, it takes seconds to mess up the most vital part of any telescope. I had a TAL1 for many years, and it did get dusty on the mirror too, on the back it had 3 screws to release with the mirror built in that back, your scope may be the same? we just use to remove the back, and wipe the mirror with a slightly damp 2 or 3 ply tissue, and dry with a clean one while the mirror was still damp. As long as you use nothing dry that will scratch you ought to be able to do it.

Our telescope was as good as new after 12 years of use when I sold it.

And thats precisely why I dont buy second hand scopes.

Archived