Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

jasperuk

Sticking my android tablet to the tube ????

I was out the other night with my ARCHOS tablet (Star Chart, SkEye and Google Sky map software) and scope trying my best to first identify then align the scope having held the tablet over the area of sky i am interested in this sometimes works but most of the time is a complete waste of time.

I occured to me during one of the moment of madness that if i could somehow attach the tablet to the scope tube (similar to the finderscope attachment) i would be able to with a reasonble degree of accuracy look at the tablet in real time whilst swinging the scope around the sky and get close to my target.

Is this a nuts idea or is there method in the madness ?????

I dont thhink i have ever seen anything to fix either a tablet, ipad or even iphone/android phone to the scope mount/tube.

PLease tell me i am not a complete looney !!!!!

maybe modify one of the in car mounting brackets they make for the iphone etc.

Both good ideas shame my DIY skills are so poor teh amazon thing is definatly the right sort of holder its the cmaping on that would need some work

I fixed my Galaxy S to the spotting scope with a rubber band for exactly the same reason but it was an excersize in complete frustration to be honest - I'm now starting to try and make a home made Push to out of my DOB with a Wixey and a setting circle.

It's a great idea! I've just taken delivery of an old skool Pocket PC device for less than £10 of eBay to attached next to the finder. I'm going to remote on to my astro laptop to to display Stellarium and PHD.

There must be a market for this kind of thing especially if its controlling the movement fo the scope as well, there must be some software that does that....now who out there is good at designing gadgets there must be someone wanting to make some money :D

Before attaching it, I'd recommend holding it to the tube and trying to see how it works. I had this very same brainwave for my smartphone but found out the metal of the tube upset the accuracy of the app, so effectively I can only use it when its away from the tube. Might be worth checking if you haven't already :D

I just had another idea, Suction Mount In Car Holder For HTC Desire Phone (need a long one to get it away from the scope so i can see it)

Accessory Village Made To Measure Windscreen 360: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I guess the only problem here is i really wanted something attached to the tube and a suction type car holder would need a flat surface to suck onto so thats the tube out leaving only the bottom of the tube where the back of the mirror is. would this affect the mirror much???? ... if the mirror is locked into place properly as it usually is it cant move that much can it....Hummmm not sure if thats a good idea

Edited by jasperuk