Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Roof hatch

paulwhiskey2

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all very much for your generous welcome and for your pertinent advice.

So, the roof hatch is out !

The other option I am attracted to is a dome or small shed at the foot of my garden. The attractions are:

Equipment could be left set up (and secured with a lock)

Shelter from the elements

A work station for charts etc.

However, the view is obstructed to a fair extent by my own house and neighbours' trees.

I could build a raised base to increase elevation to see over my roof more.

Steve, I will try to locate the article you referred to.

I would appreciate advice on what to consider for my restricted view.

Thanks again

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again everyone and thank you for your advice regarding a Roof Hatch.

Since I asked the question about a Roof Hatch, I met up again a couple of days ago at the local astronomy club with a guy I had already spoken to who had already installed a roof hatch.

He acknowledged that the received wisdom was that thermals would make it unworkable, but that he was very happy with his results. After all, most days in the UK will not have been sunny enough to generate much in the way of thermals from the roof tiles; and if the loft is well insulated and boarded out, and the hatch is left open for a while, then I imagine thermals from within the loft space would be minimal.

So, alas, I am going to look into getting estimates for suitable glass and opaque hatches and will report back when I have something of interest.

Paul

Archived