Hello

Toejam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kelvin and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Skywatcher 200P dob is probably the most popular scope to be had, as it offers great views and resolution whilst still being manageable should you need to transport it to a dark site to get some better views. The Celestron 130 scope itself is fine but like many equatorial scopes at that price, its the 'twitchy' mount that lets it down along with the red dot finder that is awkward to align and far too bright and so will corrupt your night vision. The Skywatcher dob is better value for money by far and hope you can get your hands on one soon!

When you get it, make sure to write up your first night experience with including what you saw and how you got on with the scope - always makes interesting reading!

Clear skies for now

James

Hi Kelvin and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Skywatcher 200P dob is probably the most popular scope to be had, as it offers great views and resolution whilst still being manageable should you need to transport it to a dark site to get some better views. The Celestron 130 scope itself is fine but like many equatorial scopes at that price, its the 'twitchy' mount that lets it down along with the red dot finder that is awkward to align and far too bright and so will corrupt your night vision. The Skywatcher dob is better value for money by far and hope you can get your hands on one soon!

When you get it, make sure to write up your first night experience with including what you saw and how you got on with the scope - always makes interesting reading!

Clear skies for now

James

It does sound like the perfect fit for me, i'll definitely do a first light report once i've got one and managed to get it together, though i'd imagine it will be laughably basic...:headbang:

The mount and finder scope came up alot in all the reviews I read of the Celestron 130, also the tripod itself apparently often shows up broken from the off (I actually saw somebody selling 1 of the supports on ebay for £50!!!!), so I was at the stage of deciding if I could take the risk and live with the fiddly mount before I found this site and noticed the Dob mentioned alot, in all the threads and reviews i've not seen 1 issue pop up. Though it is a little over my expected budget :D

Thanks again to everybody for the welcomes

Well it would seem my dad bought a telescope off Bidtv (I know, they don't listen) a year and half ago thats been doing nothing since and he has very kindly given it to me and I don't have the heart to refuse.

I suppose it gives me something to learn on for now and it will mean when I do get mine i'll appreciate it more. lol

I've just been to pick it up and it's a Terratek Astrotek 76 Telescope

Aperture 76mm

Focal Length 700mm

Comes with SR 4mm, H 12.5mm, H 20mm and x2 Barlow.

Can't even find any info about on the net, this can only be good. lol

Can't see an edit button, so my apologies for another post.

To get me started I have placed an order for Celestron Moon filter, Turn Left at Orion and Phillips Planisphere.

Archived