Hello

Toejam

Hi there, new to the hobby and in my research for trying to find out which telescope to buy I came across this forum, seems a nice place so now it's time to introduce myself...

My names Kelvin and im from Lincoln, aged 32?:)

Something that always interested me growing up but I never got around to, but now my daughter (6) is old enough to ask questions and understand so now im going to have to buy a telescope and learn with her.

Following advice i've seen on varrious sites (visit local group), im going to my 1st Lincoln Astronomical Society meeting this evening to introduce myself and hopefully I can see the various types of telescope in the near future to help me get a better idea of what i'll need. Though im pretty much settled on a Sky-Watcher 8" Dob :)

Anyway, Hi nicee to meet you...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DOBS are great value for money and you won't be disappointed. You have to know where to point it so learning the sky is important - but that will be a wonderful journey. Two useful resources often recommended by members are (1) the book 'Turn Left at Orion' and the free planetarium software 'Stellarium'. (downloaded from. Stellarium

Thanks for all the welcomes, im almost certain that if they were in stock at First Light I would of put my order in by now! lol

I was originally going to go for the Celestron 130 eq for £120 but I was a little concerned it was a little too fiddly for me to start off on, the dob seems like it would be more my kind of thing.

It's very much the journey of learning what/where everything isthat im looking forward to, I have seen mention of that book quite often whilst looking around, i'll add it to the list, thanks

Archived