Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Garradd

mike.brightmore

Ok so its not much to look at but it is a comet and its over 100 million miles away and there is a bright moon and I'm cold but here is Garradd from a few minutes ago. Quite close to mag 15 galaxy NGC 5620 tonight. Hope to do a little GIF over next few weeks.

post-15108-133877742582_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon

Its not in Andromeda. Its in Ursa Minor close to Draco as shown in the chart below from Heavens Above. Imagine a line from Kochab in Ursa Minor to Mizar in the Plough (Ursa Major). The Comet is about a quarter of the way along this line. It can be seen with binoculars but the Moon is making it very difficult at present. Look for a round misty patch with a brighter nucleus - but it is easily missed. It's mag 7 now but fading. By the end of March it will be above the Plough and on 31st March very close to Upsilon Ursae Majoris.

post-15108-133877743249_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Jon Its not in Andromeda. Its in Ursa Minor close to Draco as shown in the chart below from Heavens Above.
Nice image but strange - my HeavensAbove/NASA Horizons for Saturday when I last imaged it in UMa near zenith after dusk:cool:

Archived