sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

pop goes another one....

c3po

After much perseverance, I FINALLY managed to pop my Saturn cherry.....and oh my gosh was it with waiting for! She's a sight to behold, even at 108x and tiny as you like, she took my breath away - still in awe now, was jumping about like a loony in the garden till the neighbours dog started baking!

Just been admiring it through the binos.... so no rings, but I flipping saw light reflecting from Saturn.

I have already had a squeeee moment on another thread, but I will join in on yours too :)

She is a beauty alright. Small, though. Last year was my first year in astronomy and my memories of Saturn were that it was larger than it appeas this year. It probably wasn't of course, just my memory of the WOW moment when i saw it appear in the eyepiece. It was lovely and crisp. Truly wonderous. Well done.

Bart

I posted the very same thing last week. I've been back to see her a few times since, and will keep going back for ever. Amazing

Even if Saturn is the only thing I ever look at in my telescope it would make it worth every penny. I said the same about Jupiter and her moons and also M42 to be honest.......

After much perseverance, I FINALLY managed to pop my Saturn cherry.....and oh my gosh was it with waiting for! She's a sight to behold, even at 108x and tiny as you like, she took my breath away - still in awe now, was jumping about like a loony in the garden till the neighbours dog started baking!

After 3 hours jumping around in my own garden, the neighbours Dog is yet to bake a thing. No cakes for me then :)

On topic; Saturn is lovely to see with your very own eyes.

Congrats to your eyeballs for seeing the most amazing thing in our solar system.:)

After 3 hours jumping around in my own garden, the neighbours Dog is yet to bake a thing. No cakes for me then :icon_scratch:

:) clearly a typo on my part...and i cant edit the original post now :)

as for a baking dog, well that would be a miracle

Edited by c3po

I remember when I first showed by girlfriend Saturn. It was cold, we were outside smoking, she just wanted to go inside after watching 'boring' mars and 'i can't see anything' M42. it was very cold. I persuaded her to look through the scope one last time.

Saturn litterally made her exclaim "oh my! ooh!.. WOW! Ken look you can see the rings go all the way around, wow, amazing"

"I know" I replied, smiling and enjoying a new hobby watching her watch the sky.