Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best star map app for iPad

steve_bham

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I use the lite version, it was free I think, or maybe on offer when I got it, but it does everything I need, interactive map and plenty of info on targets. Plus it has a "night" mode so I don't blind myself every time I use it!

Another vote for SkySafari, have the plus version and a delight - I found the StarWalk app first, so have that too - think StarWalk marginally easier to use, but SkySafari the better featured.

Chris

How well does it work compared to the GOTO handset and does the phone charge whilst connected?

Russell

Once the GOTO handset is aligned, I've found it works brilliantly. It's so much nicer being able to select a target on screen and have the scope slew to it, no more fiddling about in the handset menu.

I'm afraid there's no charging ability whilst the Skywire is connected.

Once the GOTO handset is aligned, I've found it works brilliantly. It's so much nicer being able to select a target on screen and have the scope slew to it, no more fiddling about in the handset menu.

I'm afraid there's no charging ability whilst the Skywire is connected.

Thanks.:)

I'd noticed the 'Align' setting on Sky Safari +, but without the Skywire, you can't activate it to see what it does. Shame about the charging.:)

Russell

not sure if it's available for the ipad, but i have SkyMap Free on my lumia 800 and find it very good. shows planets, stars, galaxies, constallations etc. it uses the phones gps to work out where you are and what you can see, you can zoom in and out, also has night mode (turns everything red) which is very usefull, along with a host of other options

Skysafari is the most complete I have found for the iPad. I like the feature that allows you to create observing lists, add comments, note when object observed etc. Also the ability to connect to your mount is great and works perfectly.

Starwalk is the `supermodel` astronomy app - very pretty to look at, but not the deepest of oceans.

Another one for SkySafari here. I love the way you can zoom into Jupiter (or any object) and the speed up time to see a lovely animation of the moons.

Also now you can grab a panorama of your dark location and load it into SkySafari. This means you can see what the stars look like driving miles and without going outside and getting cold!! :) .. havent tried this yet but soon..

i have just got sky safari plus on my samsung Galaxy s it does not work always points north no matter what you do having said that i am in contact with sky safari and they are trying to work out why this is happening as goggle map works fine they are puzzled

Archived