Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

nev47

Is this the meteorite that terrified Britain?

Hypothetically speaking, when a meteorite lands who owns it?

James

In this case I'd argue that it's the school that ought to have 1st dibs, since it was on their field ! but, I'd reckon it has to be in most part the land owner's not the finders ????

PS the eggspurts suggested the meteorite ought to have landed somewhere in the Sth West ?

It will belong to the landowner, not the finder. A deal could be done though, no doubt :)

I really don't think this is a meteorite - just being heavy and having white bits in it is not enough. Some of of it would have to be sent for analysis to the Natural History Museum. Dr Monica Grady and Dr Sara Russell are the experts in meteorites in this country.

It can't be the one we saw as she said it happened around midnight. I saw it at 9.40 as did most people. Still a good find though!

i just been speaking to a man and he pointed out that it was seen south of her so it not the one from saturday

so maybe there was two that night one at 2145 and then around midnight

Edited by nev47

Good find on her part, I wonder what the chances are of finding one if you go looking for one.

Could it really have landed in Redcar and have been visible from Southern England ?

Good find on her part, I wonder what the chances are of finding one if you go looking for one.

Very, very, very low, in the UK. In the North African deserts or Antarctica or the Nullarbor Plain or the Mojave Desert you stand much more chance. The UK climate is very unkind to any meteorites that happen to fall here ;)

I think if I found one on someone else's land I would bag it and run, then say I found it in my back garden :blob10:

did not read it but wonder if she is even into astronomy. If not, maybe she will be now.

dibs? i think whom ever gets their hands on it first. haha

I'd have thought that a meteorite that size would create a large crater? even if it is one, it's presumably not recent.