Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Miranda

The Pleiades - so beautiful

When out last observing lots of stars and planets in my garden I realised I had spotted the Pleiades...

How utterly breathtaking is that! I couldn't believe how a sparkly smudge to my eyes was so stunning through the binos.

Can't believe how many stars are there !

One day I'll understand the 'science' what an open cluster is, but its very very beautiful.

And yeah I saw mars, venus, jupiter, great big fireball in the sky, orion nebula and managed to star hop around to my heart's content.

Fascinating stuff! I love seeing all these things, now to learn what it is I'm exactly seeing !

Happy days!

The Pleiades are one of those objects that are usually better in binoculars than a telescope. I can just about get them into one field of view.

Hi Miranda, I was out last night testing my new 10x50 Pentax binos and the Pleiades was a beautiful sight to behold. They really are best seen in binos. Always has been one of my favorite winter targets.

Anyone else think the seven major stars in the Pleiades look like a teapot? No? Just me then?

James

Yup. Just you.

And yes, one of the best sights through bins. Was looking at them last night myself. Lovely.

Just tried to take some shots of them with my camera. Tripod not steady enough...

but its a great shot if you think about teapots when your drunk :) (Looked far better on the liveview than it does on the screen, so I wont embarrass myself by showing it lol).

They are so so stunning and I can't believe I have never spotted them in the sky until last night.

Glad I have some company in enjoying the Sisters.

whenever I get the bins out I always look at them, my favourite bino target.

The Beehive , M44 is also a great binocular sight, nice.

I loved my first sighting of the sisters through binos. I was amazed at how many stars were actually in there.

I just bought a book called 'Turn left at Orion' my first night with it tonight and it gives an easy to follow directions of what you can look for with either bins or scopes.

It also manages expections with simpe pictures of what your likely to see with normal amateur equipment. The Pleides gets a 5 star bino rating :) and rightly so.

And remember that if you took our sun in to space it becomes too faint to see at 50 light years and the Pleides is 150 ly away and so all those stars you can see are FAR brighter than our sun...

Mark

Hi, I've yet to spot the Pleiades, can't wait! Saw Orion's nebula last night for the first time even though I haven't got the hang of proper focussing cos I can't stop shaking, L-Adaptor hopefully arriving tomorrow.

Regards,

Bill.

The Beehive , M44 is also a great binocular sight, nice.

Yup, +1 to that. Bit harder to find than the Sisters (from here with the bad LP, Cancer is not a naked eye object). I find it by drawing a line between Regulus in Leo and Pollux in Gemini and its about half way along and up a bit (yes, I'm that simple too :D). Give it a go Miranda you'll be chuffed when you find it.

The Pleiades is a great bino object.:D

I never get tired of looking at the Double Star Cluster in Perseus (NGC844/NGC869) with bino's.

Another breathtaker for me.......:headbang:

Can be found in between Perseus and Cassiopia

Wayne

post-18037-13387774339_thumb.jpg

Oh thanks folks!!!

When the Moon decides to tone herself down a bit I will go hunting for more stuff to spot!

Any more of the list? My new 10x50s are hungry for light :D

Oh thanks folks!!!

When the Moon decides to tone herself down a bit I will go hunting for more stuff to spot!

Any more of the list? My new 10x50s are hungry for light ;)

Checkout:

- http://BinocularSky.com

- Binocular Observing Challenge Binocular Challenge

Edited by ismangil

I saw them through my binoculars last night, they always look spectacular.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new DSLR on them.

Just had a great couple of hours out. I have a 250px dob - wanted to take a look at the moon, Venus and Jupiter. Seeing wasnt great so got out my new Olympus 10 x 50's, sat down with my Sky and Telscope atlas - just star hopped around the sky - great stuff - first half decent pair of binos ive used and no setup time, just need a chair, atlas, red light and a cuppa- brilliant stuff.

Neil