Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Forum software, a quick taster!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my two pence worth, I know that SGL is a free to subscribe to forum, but with the new buy and sell section. What about charging a nominal fee for posting items for sale? I'm sure most people would pay a few pounds to sell their gear to likeminded people and it would add funds to the SGL coffers. Thus being beneficial both ways? Or with FLO being the site sponsor, do they fund SGL by their sponsorship?

SGL is completely free.

It is our overwhelming goal to keep it that way (and family friendly). We also want to keep SGL advert free, which is why FLO has it's own section and all promotional activity is keep in there. You the member have a choice to see the adverts or not.

We could charge for access to the new buy/sell section, but why would people pay for something that is freely available elsewhere, even if it was only a single pound a year. Besides we want to keep SGL free to all.

I don't want to go into the financials of SGL, but the agreement with FLO works very well for both and we are proud of our arrangement with FLO, in fact we know that others are actually jealous that it works so well. SGL does have other incomes, we make a few quid from the calendars and we sell a few mugs each year. So there is no need to worry, the running costs of SGL are secure - we're not going anywhere.

Sorry to ramble on.

Cheers

Ant

Totally understand Ant. You've explained it very well. I have been a member for a little over a year and I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. Everyone is very friendly and more than willing to pass on the pearls of their wisdom to us newbies. And FLO is my first port of call for new gear. More than competetive and the service they give is exceptional. So yeah, it works very well and as the old saying goes. If it 'aint broke.:hello2:

I think your going to see something you like on the new forum :), thanks for the suggestion.

Ant

Awesome that you guys are working on moving to IPB, it's so much cleaner than vBulletin in my opinion.

The mobile skin works brilliantly too, so smooth and clean. Although the official app is meant to be absolutely terrible and cause problems (not that you need it with such a great mobile skin).

The only thing I'm not so sure about is the background image on the banner logo. I'd maybe try and extend the style of the SGL logo across the top of the whole page.

I've done a quick example of the banner below and then quickly done another example of the whole page:

Banner Example (linked because of its width)

2ep1pom.jpg

I left the search and menu bars as they were (too much effort to replicate them without the previous background shining through), although lightening the menu with the same opacity would probably still work :hello2:

I was about to comment on shelling out for a piece of premium board software, but then I remembered that you're using vB!

I tend to develop on PHPBB but have ran vB forums too. Cannot comment on IP forums, but looks interesting...

Soon... Very soon!

I really don't want to give specifics as there are things that may get in the way of us doing it... But the goal is this week.

Transferring the database over will take around 12 hours(the databases are HUGE), then there is other stuff we need to do... So when we do do it it's going to be 24/36 hours of down time. If Grant goes to sleep maybe a little longer.

Any

Oh dear, just when i was starting to get used to this forum.........gonna have to learn my way around the new one :hello2:

if i dont post for a few days send out a search party:eek:

Looking forward to it, just a quick question, will we get advance notice of when the downtime will be (once you're finished with what you need to set up)?

:hello2:

Probably not a huge amount of notice, I spoke to Grant last night and he suggested that we'll leave one board active so that you guys can still chat, but everyone will need to understand that when we hit that button any changes that are made on this software will not be moved over.

But more on that later!

Things are coming along nicely.

The user groups are all setup, along with the hundreds of permissions that goes with each one.

The banner image is sorted.

User ranks are all set up.

There is still stuff to do but we are slowly ticking them off :)

Ant

Really looking forward to seeing the new forum as well. Total respect to the guys involved. I can't begin to imagine the work involved. And all for the benefit of the rest of us.

Thanks a million fellas.:hello2:

I'm currently re-creating all the announcements for the social groups (and having some problems), so it's taking me a little time:(

But just had a message from Grant, tonight is the night :hello2:

SGL will be turned off (with maybe the possibility of one board left on for chatting) at around 11pm. I will be surprised if you see SGL back online till Monday. But you never know.

Thanks for all the support during the move, and for your understanding while we're offline.

Cheers

Ant

Archived