Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Forum software, a quick taster!

We haven't got very far yet, so testing isn't under way yet.

You know what it's like, real life, work, family, SGL7 and clear skies all get in the way.

We will sort it - but no point in rushing... The software is bought and paid for - so time is on our side :(

Ant

Curse those clear skies ..... :(

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curse those clear skies ..... :(

I know... I'm actually looking forward to the weekend... it's going to cloud over!

I've been out with the scope for 8 (I think) nights int he last two weeks!

Ant

We'll get there peeps - we haven't forgotten :D

We just all seem to be so busy with real life stuff at the moment... combine that with the fact that my laptop has died (you wouldn't know the grief I get using my wife's or son's laptop) and the only other route onto SGL is my BB - and you really don't want to go there ;)

Once we're ready we'll open it up for some hardcore testing. See if you guys can break it :icon_salut:

Ant

Oh yes I would beelive about the greif a dead laptop can bring...

Just a quick note to say it looks great. Like some others I hadnt noticed this thread until the reply to the buy/sell thread in the astro lounge area.

Anyways thanks for all the hard work you are putting in to all of you.

A few posts back someone said it has a mobile view button, so it should be fine ...

That's right. If the new software is based around the IP.Board forum, then there are mobile based themes that will work fine with Android mobiles (other smartphones should be ok too) using both the Androids in-built 'mobile view' and standard format.

Could I make a few suggestions for consideration.

When someone uploads a image into a thread (DSO, Planetary etc) coulr that image be placed into the gallery based on the information the user would input during the upload process.

Example.

User creates a new thread in Imaging - DSO say for M42

When he selects the image to upload there could be a few text boxs to fill in tags to record What camera was used, what scope was used, number of subs etc

User finishes thread.

Now when someone comes along and looks at the gallery you can search on the user submitted tags like give me images of M42, or give me images of M42 taken with a DMK camera etc. This will allow visitors to see what can be done on which scopes, camera etc

Could I make a few suggestions for consideration.

When someone uploads a image into a thread (DSO, Planetary etc) coulr that image be placed into the gallery based on the information the user would input during the upload process.

Example.

User creates a new thread in Imaging - DSO say for M42

When he selects the image to upload there could be a few text boxs to fill in tags to record What camera was used, what scope was used, number of subs etc

User finishes thread.

Now when someone comes along and looks at the gallery you can search on the user submitted tags like give me images of M42, or give me images of M42 taken with a DMK camera etc. This will allow visitors to see what can be done on which scopes, camera etc

I like that idea because if I see an image and want to see what it was done with, I have to look at their signature but some people don't have one so I agree with that idea.

Some of us are learning to use the Mod tools at the moment... It's certainly a lot different:icon_scratch::D:(

When the test version goes public expect all sorts of warnings bannings etc ... at the momet we are working with dummy users...

Peter...

I wonder: is that a tautology or an oxymoron...? :)

The usename is sgldummyuser...

Because we are "playing" with a backup that includes the existing user base that was on the forum at the tiem of the backup any warnings etc that we issue will be e-mailed to the user ...

We also need "users" that don have mod/admin rights to check that things are working properly from a permissions point of view...

When the Admins are ready to open the software up for wider testing the testers will need expect all sorts of things to happen to post, threads and users including bannings...

Then again Perhaps it's to make us feel at home... :(:evil6::D:evil6:

Peter...

I'm surprised, I thought that people would have been all over this...

Ant

Stunned silence Ant,

looks the 'bees neez' and well done team for keeping it looking smiler.

I've been on a few sites after changes and I've seen the polls of "do you like" and its been a 50/50 vote, loosing a few.

Like you say no one likes change but needs must, and personally looking forward to it, but the photo recall sounds like a plus.

That said, if you need a 'muppet' I'll one step forward, heck, the least you could do is ban me :D

Archived