SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Forum software, a quick taster!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've copied over our full database and need to see how things work with lots of people and lots going on.

Last time was a few people (we were limited to just 20 users at any given time).

Besides testing isn't compulsory - you don't have to do it Kev. :)

Cheers

Ant

We've copied over our full database and need to see how things work with lots of people and lots going on.

Last time was a few people (we were limited to just 20 users at any given time).

Besides testing isn't compulsory - you don't have to do it Kev. :)

Cheers

Ant

where's the fun in not doing it ??? I like trying to break things :)

The reason it looks similar to the EMS site is it uses the same underlying forum engine, so a lot of the functionality will be the same.

The site will continue to support Tapatalk as it does now but also has a mobile theme so if you access it using a mobile device or tablet, you get a cut down user interface that is much more finger gesture friendly.

As Ant has said, the new forum gives us a lot more functionality and flexibility especially with regards to the buy/sell section and also the abiltity to have articles etc.. that are seperate from the main forum. It also gives us much greater powers to deal with spammers and even the potential for a live chatroom in which we could conduct live Q&A sessions etc...

Why not just keep the chatroom completely open, like how EMS is.

Nadeem.

Hello Guys

Please put me down as a tester of the new software if possible. I do appreciate that there are loads of work going on behind the scenes on here to keep the SGL site up and running, of which both my wife and I are really very thankful. I seemed to have learn't a hell of alot here with reading the forums etc on here. I know am only reletively a newbie to astronomy, but I am willing to help in anyway. My wife and I are both attending the SGL7 event this year from the Isle of Man.

Best regards, Hadyn and Christina - Isle of Man

Is it still using vBulletin or are you moving to Invision?
Yes, Ant told me SGL is migrating to IP (InvisionPower).

I've already declared (by PM) my willingness to lend a hand - if needed. I have some 'previous' regarding IP boards (including the odd quirk or two) - hopefully I won't be able to break SGL's implementation!

From an uninformed user point of view (as opposed to someone with knowledge of the backstage nuts and bolts), that looks great: clean and easy to navigate. I'm looking forward to using it :)

Hopefully my my list of books'n'CDs on Amazon will sell in time to put a wanted ad up...!

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't got very far yet, so testing isn't under way yet.

You know what it's like, real life, work, family, SGL7 and clear skies all get in the way.

We will sort it - but no point in rushing... The software is bought and paid for - so time is on our side :(

Ant

Archived