Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Alan_B

Amazing Meteor tonight

Damn it, I was out observing but I guess it wasn't visible this far south.

BBC News story quotes "Police forces say they have received a number of calls reporting what is believed to have been a meteor". Why on earth would you call the police. :)

Last time I saw one like that was a daytime meteorite. It was around 1996-98, as I worked in Newcastle at the time, and saw it on the way to work. That one came down in Northumberland. Any reports of last nights reaching the ground anywhere?

I didn't see it :) that YT video has 31,000 views and it hasn't been on for 24 hours yet! It would be good if there is a website so you know when these big ones would happen but it seems we are a bit of that yet.

I reckon all the SGL members in the south have been out already checking their gardens

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Missed it as I was inside at the time, I should've manned-up and done some observing but I didn't feel like. Paying for it this morning :)

There's a piece on Telly Text, and BBC News this moring are showing some video stuff...

is there any way to predict these things?

is there a site or an app that can tell you when to look for these things?

it was amazing, from what ive read it was mag -9. 1 in 12000 meteors reaches -8

thats pretty amazing what we saw guys

No chance of a view down this end of the country - raining last night. :)

That Youtube capture (

, I mean) is impressive! If the uploader's comment "camera is south east facing" is correct, I am guessing that the bright dot in centre frame is Mars, and the meteor was passing through Leo. Mars is currently at magnitude -1, so that gives some idea of the brightness of the meteor!

I have, over the years, seen the occasional bright meteor which I have estimated at about mag. -4 (as bright as Venus) but never one as bright as this.

What a shame that the Youtube post has attracted a lot of silly spam in the comments. Is there a way of reporting spammers direct to Youtube and getting their accounts suspended?

Spot on it was Mars in the centre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feel safe now?

Hurricane warnings check,Tsunami warnings check,Tornado warnings check, piece satellite plunged to Earth check.

A large meteor fireball headed for your neighborhood, not so important yet :)

Unbelievable! This must have gone right overhead whilst I was staring at my screen in the obsy :)

There's something to be said for you visual observers!

Tim

Exactly the same here :)

I was out last night, but too busy looking at the laptop! Gutted to have missed this one.

We saw this in stoke-on-Trent it looked so good it looked more like a flare of some sort you could actually see parts of it burning off the back of it.

Ah man I was ill in bed from about 8pm.

You jammy, jammy lot! How exciting, I would have screamed the garden down!

My missus saw this, she was outside having a sneaky ciggie, she came to get me and my camera, she thought it was a lantern or something. By the time I got outside it had gone :-(

The reports I've seen have said across northern England but we're in the South West, but it was earlier than 9.40, maybe about 9ish.

After reading the posts in here it couldn't have been the same thing but, it's certainly pretty strange that she saw something that made her come in to get me only to here these reports now.

Saw this from stoke on Trent, me and a mate were sitting outside drinking red wine arguing where Jupiter was ha ha, then it just smashed through the sky, We couldn't believe it, it wasn't fast like a shooting star, this looked big, you could see big chunks falling away from the tail, we were expecting a bang of some sort, end of days came to mind

My daughter and I saw it. We were just leaving a star party in Thurstaston, Wirral having seen great views of Mars, Jupiter, various clusters and other things.

The meteor was the icing on the cake of a great evening. And to make it even better I had my binoculars still hanging around my neck so I saw it through the bins and got a great view! It looked great even through the naked eye but the bins opened up some more detail.

It was great timing, 2 mins later and we'd have been facing the opposite direction.

My daughter is 8 and that is the only meteor she has seen. She was already buzzing from looking through some amazing scopes and this just topped the evening off for her. :-)

Wish I hadn`t gone to the pub now!!

But at least I have seen one simillar about 10 yrs ago travelling north south but at a very low angle and much the same as this one in size etc.Funilly enough, I was just coming outof the pub then too.

Gah! I was out all evening and never saw it! Was it visible around Bristol? I can just imagine myself stood there looking at nothing unusual while thats tearing past behind me!

I saw it! :)

I was all set up at a dark site, sat out waiting for cloud to clear (which it never really did) when it whizzed over... i thought i might have imagined it!

I saw a nice one that came apart over Bradley Stoke, where i live, a year and a half ago. At first I thought it was a fire work as it was on bonfire night but it clearly went behind a cloud. I also saw a nice one over the Lake District years ago. It's great when you get a good one because it's such a surprise.

That is exactly why I moved to France...to miss all the good stuff, not fair!

I was just thinking. Is there a meteor shower due ? I had checked my calendar and nothing is noted. I ask as I went out the first of March and saw several meteors. So many so that this was the reason I checked my calendar. As there was nothing noted so I thought nothing of it but having now seen this thread and what is said to be one of the largest meteor sightings over the UK it had mewondering if I had missed some thing ????