SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Amazing Meteor tonight

Alan_B

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a question .the meteor i saw friday looked very like the 3rd of march one without the flames or it breaking up, could it have been the same one? but maybe being in a lower orbit to the earth hence it's breaking up .

Three of use saw this from the Rollright Stones in Oxfordshire; it was actually behind some trees and climbing up the sky when I first saw it. It looked just like a firework but judging by its speed I think it was a bit of space debris re-entering. Absolutely amazing sight as it passed under the plough and disappeared towards Leo.

Mel

It wasn't near M42 - went through Ursa Major, through towards Leo when we lost sight of it.

I don't think I saw the big one that you were all watching mine flashed across m42 while I was looking through my bins it was breaking into bits as it fell I saw 3 pieces one of which was red sometime between 9pm and 9.42pm. I didn't think to check the watch. it didn't appear to be nearly as spectacular as the one I would have seen looking north.

Hi,

This was wittnessed by numerous folk at the Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society public open night tonight. What appeared to be a slow moving firework rocket climbing into the sky in the distance over Mansfield (Directly North) the fireball, with a growing tail plume (approx magnitude -6) appeared to climb high overhead, at which I thought that it this is definitely coming out of the sky.I also wondered where it would land for a moment! After momentarily passing near Zenith the fireball fragmented into several pieces.

An absolute Wow moment for all at the obsevatory, never to be forgotten. Would love to see some picture?

i feel a bit like this guy must have felt

That's not as bad as me, I was watching Jonathan Ross when my cam caught it....bit embarrassing when the BBC said they wanted an interview and I hadn't actually seen it with my eyes.

Just got in and thought I would see if anyone else had seen the meteor. It was ab fab. I am in York and it went right over my head. Fortunately I was just setting the telescope up, Had just got the tube on and saw a very bright light rising in the North. It rose straight up through Draco straight through the zenith, continued past the zenith and headed South of Gemini where it started to break up. I could see the tail behind it. What a treat. Mars was also great tonight too!!

Hi all I live in the Highlands of Scotland & what an amazing sight to see the Meteor in all its blazing glory:)

Huge it was, lasted about 20 seconds then vanished...

We could see the reflection of it on the Loch too :)

Such a rare moment so chuffed I got to see it :)

I was just setting up the telescope and aligning for a session imaging Mars and as I look North I saw what I thought was someone setting off a firework rocket. When it kept on coming I realized what it really was. Wow. What a fantastic sight it was. It came up from the horizon NNW and travelled through Draco then went right through the zenith and passed South of Castor and Pollux and then started to breakup. It was very bright 10X Venus I would say and it had a tail which you could see clearly. Greatest sight Ive seen. And Mars was great too.

No chance of a view down this end of the country - raining last night. :)

That Youtube capture (

, I mean) is impressive! If the uploader's comment "camera is south east facing" is correct, I am guessing that the bright dot in centre frame is Mars, and the meteor was passing through Leo. Mars is currently at magnitude -1, so that gives some idea of the brightness of the meteor!

I have, over the years, seen the occasional bright meteor which I have estimated at about mag. -4 (as bright as Venus) but never one as bright as this.

What a shame that the Youtube post has attracted a lot of silly spam in the comments. Is there a way of reporting spammers direct to Youtube and getting their accounts suspended?

I happened to look up whilst observing mars and saw it. It had already broken up into sveral trails but I didn't have time to grab my bino's though.

4 miles north of Leicester

Some of us saw it then?? Me and the Mrs are still talking about it this morning. Never seen anything like it and doubt we'll ever get one that good again! Just amazing. At first view it did look like a forework, but the sheer size, brightness and speed soon put paid to that theory!

I only went out to set the scope up and it was first light for my new 200P. All plans for a first light report went out of the window as I spent the next couple of hours trawling the net to see if anyone else saw it. More than a few onbiously did!!

Phil's You Tube vid got there first - well done matey. Stunning.

Hi

Was out at Derwent Reservoir in north wesr Durham when I caught the last 5 seconds of the first meteor as it passed through Leo, then saw a second meteor at about midnight as I was driving home, the second one broke up into pieces. The last time I saw one like this was about 40 years ago. Amazing.

Dave

Archived