Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Alan_B

Amazing Meteor tonight

21:40 heading South Through Ursa Major heading towards Leo

Ball of flame broke up after 20 seconds

Biggest one I.ve ever seen - thoight I was seeing things . tell me someone else has just seen this !!!!!

lucky boy ! i saw one last year,twas amazing. not 20 seconds long though.

nice one alan.

Me too. Absolutely stunning. It was huge. Still in shock!

It was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just posted in another thread about it but wow wow wow :) :)

Giant and long and big breaking off into pieces. My dad and I thought it was a satellite breaking up.

Been on the news apparantly - seen over Warrington.

I live in Wrexham and missed it. Damn!

I lust saw one flash across m42 it wasn't 20 secs though but it did appear to break apart obviously not the same one but there appears to be a couple about tonight

Yep, just back from an observing session where I saw that fireball.

To paraphrase Frank Carson "It was a cracker!"

I saw it too but I wasn't sure sure if I'd seen it or not until I saw you guys had seen it also.

It gave me goosebumps!:)

Jeff

We saw it too - must've tracked over from Warrington (someone above says it was seen there) to Staffs where we live.

This was no shooting star people - large, very fast moving and you could actually see flames in a small tail at the rear. Amazing once in a lifetime job. Jealous, coz' I was setting up the scope and my wife spotted it first, with the most ladylike of statements (mods, please leave this in...) "what the f***'s that?"

It wasn't near M42 - went through Ursa Major, through towards Leo when we lost sight of it.

I'd love to join the club but this is one of those disadvantages of staring at the computer all night. Came in at eight :)

Regardless, a lot of people seem to have seen it. Internet's going wild. There's bound to be some video somewhere, even CCTV... we'll see.

I wonder if any reached the ground, would be awesome to have a chunk of iron that's maybe 5-10 billion years old....

that is the second big meteor in 2 nights, saw one friday just about 10 past 8 in glasgow going from north to south just below jupiter ,my wife thought it was a plane crashing [she watches 2 many movies lol] but was about 4-5 seconds b4 i lost it behind some roof tops looked very like the twitter link Twitter without the flames

why do i always miss these things watching too much tv again

I freaking saw this too!!!!! Was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw it!

Absolutely amazing! At first I thought it was a weird rocket that some kid had set off but it was just beautiful. And watching it burn and fragment and break up....Fantastic to see through the binos

Stunning stuff.

Not bad for my third night 'proper' gazing :)

That Twitter pic is someone making it up for attention.

It's from 2010.

<<< Maryland Weather: Twilight meteor reported Monday in Maryland - Weather forecast: Meteorology and climate conditions in the Baltimore region from reporter Frank Roylance - baltimoresun.com >>>

Gutted I missed this, though :)

Surely some of the SGLers would have caught a pic?:)

youtu.be/Np8U68KiDoQ caught on my cam tonight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unbelievable! This must have gone right overhead whilst I was staring at my screen in the obsy :)

There's something to be said for you visual observers!

Tim

The Sky News footage isn't as good as the You Tube clip - which also doesn't capture the colour. The Twitter link above captures a still image in all its glory. Amazing sight and amazing image

The Twitter pic was exactly what we saw - even if that is an old pic, it was the same size and brightness as the one we saw tonight.

We saw this at the junction of the A632 crossing the A60 at 21.41, great to see some pieces fall off, it was one great treat.

It just kept on going and going and going...fantastic.

Rounded off a good day had over in Derbyshire..:)