Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lucky shot...

Caz

..but perhaps not so lucky for the mobile this was taken with, I think the suns bu**ered up the sensor... :wink: Don't worry, no eye balls where harmed in the taking of this shot, all precautions where adhered to, I just took a lucky guess as to the position of the sun and pressed the shutter of a Samsung D something or another.

It is a solar flare in this shot, isn't it? Don't know what the other thing is top left, it may be cloud, not sure. Anyway taken last week, the 28th June.

There have been slight adjustments made to this, but it's pretty much as is.

554_large.jpeg

Caz :cool:

This is definitely NOT a solar flare caught on a cell phone in white light. The red feature to the bottom is a lens flare from the camera itself. The white, cloudy feature to the top left looks like a terrestrial cloud to me, too. The streaky colors are lens distortions. The actual Sun is the black dot in the middle.

Solar flares are genrally not visible at all in white light, unless you block the brightness of the Sun with an occulting disk, as SOHO's LASCO C2 and C3 coronagraphs do. There was a small CME event on 28/6/07, but it occurred at midnight UT, so I doubt you caught it, Caz.

Sorry. Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm allergic to lead.

This is definitely NOT a solar flare caught on a cell phone in white light.

That is of course, unless you have an Ha filter with a bandwidth of say, 1 Angstrom or less, attached to the phone Caz :wink:

Dave

This is definitely NOT a solar flare caught on a cell phone in white light.

That is of course, unless you have an Ha filter with a bandwidth of say, 1 Angstrom or less, attached to the phone Caz :wink:

Dave

Right. Less would be better. :shock:

Could be smoke from a frying silicon chip :shock:

:laughing6:

This is definitely NOT a solar flare caught on a cell phone in white light. The red feature to the bottom is a lens flare from the camera itself. The white, cloudy feature to the top left looks like a terrestrial cloud to me, too. The streaky colors are lens distortions. The actual Sun is the black dot in the middle.

Solar flares are genrally not visible at all in white light, unless you block the brightness of the Sun with an occulting disk, as SOHO's LASCO C2 and C3 coronagraphs do. There was a small CME event on 28/6/07, but it occurred at midnight UT, so I doubt you caught it, Caz.

Sorry. Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm allergic to lead.

Subtle as a brick as always AM, you could have let me down gently... :lol: Here's me getting all excited too, I even sent it to S@N... :wink:

That is of course, unless you have an Ha filter with a bandwidth of say, 1 Angstrom or less, attached to the phone Caz :p

Damn it! Left it at home.

Could there be a very slim chance of them missing a flare?? No. Ok, fair enough, but it does look convincing, to me anyway.

I would just like to thank those for taking this image seriously, particulary Ian, and as for the rest of you, well, your off the buddy list... :cool:

Caz :evil:

Ps.. I was joking about S@N

Where has the piccy gone Caz????

I cannot comment on it as the caption in the middle says "No Picture", therefore I must still be on your "Buddy List" :wink:

naz

Have you tried to take a pic with the camera since?

does it still work?

Oh yes, it still works, slight problem though, there's no image! Let's just say, I'm not in someone's good books atm... :wink: :oops:

Caz

Archived