Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

pete_l

Is this the ultimate amateur mount?

I've just been reading the user review of ASA's DDM85 mount on Cloudy Nights.

The article goes into a lot of detail about the calibration and alignment process (including the direct-drive motors and the alignment model the mount's software builds). Looking at ASA's website, they claim tracking errors measured in tenths of an arc-second.

Now this sounds highly impressive, apart from the first mount having to be returned as it developed a fault. But I'm left with a nagging doubt that the amount of time needed to model and align the mount would use up most of a year's observing time, given the typical british weather.

Gorgeous, but at $16,595, a bit out of my league.

I would argue the technologically it is but performance per pound wise I would say it doesn't make the grade. Surely, and I don't have one YET so can't confirm it, something like the mesu2 at 5,000€ with a 90kg load capacity would be a better overall mount. In theory it has a slow moving 2 arcsec pe that can be guided out with long 5s plus subs on the guider.

Don't get me wrong I love the Asa but at that price I don't think the additional accuracy is worth it, especially with the sky conditions I get here.

What's the load capacity of the Asa?

What's the load capacity of the Asa?

According to ASA in Austria, the DDM60 carries 25kg and costs 7,800 euros (c. £6,500). Price-wise, somewhere between a Mach1 GTO and a Losmandy Titan ... But 45 minute unguided subs drooooooool !

Edited by pete_l

Mmmmmmm nice mount though, unfortunately well outside of my price bracket!

I know a number of people who have bought and used these mounts. All I can say is that I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole... Direct drive will come, of that there is little doubt, but it won't be coming my way for some time to come and when it does it is most unlikely to be coming from these guys.

Olly

Just a bit expensive as the weather is, if it were gauged in hours used/cost, per Day/year.

Most large professional telescopes apparently use direct drive now.

Maybe, but they use autoguiders for any exposures over 1 min or so.

NigelM

Just a bit expensive as the weather is, if it were gauged in hours used/cost, per Day/year.

Shh.. Back thee with thy logical arguments!

Next up will be air bearings too for the smooth stick-tionless guiding..

I think there's a market to the fully automated plonk-n-go mount.. Pity it'll happen in the midrange price bracket :/

don't read the review...o too late :).

as a owner of this mount i have to admit that its pretty mount. ( i bought mine when the mount was released, but i think people will have to wait another 1 or 2 years before its perfect. )

i got mine for 2 years ( 2 months the mount was gone for repairs lol )

i am making a sum up PDF file at the moment with my opinion.

The review on CN is also based on MLPT, wich i do not like at all.

The fact that ASA sayed unguided exposures from at least 10 minuts can not be done by lots of people.

(ok i archive 20 minutes without autoguiding but that is on 800mm focal length )

ill post my PDF soon

Edited by Erwin Kats

There was a post recently where the chap was getting 16mins unguided without issue. I was a bit concerned to hear that in two years Erwin has had his scope it had spent two months in for repair... given the cost of these mounts !!

Malcolm,

for me it is easy to get 20 minutes unguided. ( one of my results Erwin Kats Photography Between IC 5070 and NGC 7000 with Vixen r200SS and QSI 583 WS on ASA DDM 85 )

be aware, my telescope has triangle star shapes after a accident when the telescop fell to the ground in france.

The repair of the mount was free of charge, even the shipping, so thats a good service in my thoughts

i am working with the setup remotely in the back garden ( practicing for a remote setup ) so i hope that it will work while i sleep.

but there is something causing small errors in the system, ( so the engine shuts down and stops tracking ), in the old software this will not be restored automaticly so all your frames will be trailed from the moment it happens.

but the moment is everytime different.

I heard from an other ddm user who has updated the software to the latest beta version that it is working much and much better, but i can not make that conclusion yet due the fact i am still waiting for my new telescope.

Edited by Erwin Kats