SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good evening from Dorset

Geogaddi

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

I'm also from Dorset, and i also have some awesome Greenkats!

I recieved some fancy hawke 8x42s for xmas, but i still like the 12x50 greenkats sometimes. For now they're my solar binoculars. :)

Welcome to the forums, have fun with the bins. Download stellarium if you haven't already done so, then get back to thinking about your first scope.

Took me about 3 months after my first outing with the binos to getting my scope. Fortunately a guy from my local astro group lent me a 90mm frac to get on with. Really glad he did, without it i'm not entirely sure i'd have stuck with it tbh. But now i have my 200p, and i'm hooked for life. :)

OK, so rather than start up an unnecessary thread i'm bumping my old intro thread from March (March!!). Apologies for the delayed reply - the Mrs gave birth to mini-Geogaddi not long after these initial posts and let's just say time, money and sleep all went out the window! All worth it, of course :smiley:

So JimmyJamJoe - it looks like you have the same 200P Dob I've (finally) acquired. Had my first seat-of-my-pants views of the Moon, Jupiter (wow!) and the Great Orion nebula last night. Haven't even collimated the thing yet - just couldn't resist a quick blast!

My question is, where should I start in terms of replacing/upgrading eyepieces / adding filters etc? I don't have much £££ anymore (see above) but equally, I understand the eyepieces that came with it are next to garbage (I bought first hand in the end). Any advice very gratefully received.

Thank you!

Welcome to SGL

There is an awful lot of tat on ebay and much of it goes for far more than it's genuinely worth, so it's often best avoided unless you're absolutely certain about what you're getting.

No reason why you shouldn't make a decent size dobsonian though. That's what dobsonians were all about originally.

James

Hah! Failed to read the last post :)

The 200P is an excellent scope. You should have a lot of fun with it. For the time being I'd stick with the eyepieces you have and see how you get on, then decide what you feel you're missing. The Skywatcher 10mm eyepiece isn't that great, but for the time being it will do the job. Give it a while and you'll have a much better idea of how you want to proceed.

James

Hah! Failed to read the last post :)

The 200P is an excellent scope. You should have a lot of fun with it. For the time being I'd stick with the eyepieces you have and see how you get on, then decide what you feel you're missing. The Skywatcher 10mm eyepiece isn't that great, but for the time being it will do the job. Give it a while and you'll have a much better idea of how you want to proceed.

James

Thanks James - appreciate the advice :smiley:

Archived