SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Observing session

I bought some Celestron 15x70 Skymaster binoculars and a tripod about a month ago but due to the cloudy weather I've been unable to use them. Well Wednesdays skies were excellent so I took full advantage.

I used Stellarium, Philips Stargazing with Binoculars and Pocket Sky Atlas. I made a note of all the objects I found.

The moon, Jupiter and 4 Moons, Venus, Mars, Andromeda Galaxy, M42, M46, M47, M53, M3. Coma Star Cluster. I was most impressed with the Beehive Cluster (M44). Which looked glories through the binoculars.

I thought I would share it with you all, I was really pleased with the outcome.

Congrats sounds like you had a very successful first outing with them. IM in the market for a pair of big bins so its nice to hear what the 15x70s can see.

DId you hand hold or use tripod set up?

Skysafari is also a good app to use on your smartphone (iphone and android) if you dont want to have to connect to Stellarium all the time.

DId you hand hold or use tripod set up?

Yes I did use a tripod. You have to as they are too unsteady without one. I also replace the original adaptor with a metal one as the original is far too flimsy and makes viewing impossible.

I have got a few apps on my phone SkySafari is useful as you can put it in Night mode.

Hi,

Just got my Strathspey 10x50s and, while Jupiter was low about 10 minutes ago (9.45pm.), I saw its moons. Looked like they were all there, incredible! My L Adaptor hasn't arrived yet so I was struggling to hold them steady. I'm glad that I didn't get bigger bins because I couldn't have held them and I would like to use them during the day.

You have seen an incredible number of targets, well done. As soon as I'd seen the moons and got my lads out........ CLOUDS APPEARED!

This is going to take some getting used to.

Clear skies,

Bill.

Archived