Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Partners Reaction To Your Telescope?

Zaine UK

When mine turned up, she couldn't talk for days, it was great ;) ;)

I just wish it got the use it deserves

You've just made everybody jealous. Great scope.

My mrs was very good considering she thinks it's all a waste of time. She came with me when I picked up my old one and let me keep it in the living room. She bought me the 8" as a present and lent me the money for the 10" (and lets me keep it set up in the front room).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My other half is entirely distracted by the weight of hardware occupying the house as a result of my other hobby - I'm an audio hardware reviewer. Over Xmas, the total count was fifteen loudspeakers and six subwoofers, not to mention a couple of power amps and an additional AV Recieiver. This filled a spare bedroom. As a result, she hasn't even noticed that I now have three scopes.

She thinks that my total recent expenditure was limited to a QHY5 and a couple of WO dovetails procured at Astrofest. Again she was distracted by lunch in Chinatown and dinner at Ping Pong with multiple cocktails.

The lesson is that, it's not what you've got, or what you are getting - No; It's HOW you get it and WHEN!;)

Deceitfully yours,

Russell

My wife is the greatest! Even if she isn't reading this.

When I recently retreated to the basement to defork our beloved Nexstar 11 it was a sure bet that boxes from trucks was inevitable. In the midst of a December snow squall the CGEM DX appeared. After a thorough clean of the 11" carbon fibre OTA and a couple of cloudy weeks with the telescope staring at the basement ceiling there came the 'first light' weekend after first quarter moon.

First came the optical alignment of the scope and the rigamaroll of the entire package. All weekend as the nights of playing with the new rig progressed I'd hear the sliding glass door open and my darling lady would call out in her excited voice ... "Have you taken any pictures yet?"

My, "No, not yet love." reply would be followed by a downcast sigh and a pause, and then she ask what I'm looking at. Jupiter would as often as not draw her out to the cold. There is something about Jupiter or Saturn that draw her to the eyepiece. in many cases she will retire after sniffing the cold.

After many long nights flying our Canon DSLR on the much used Nexstar 11 from the kitchen table I would retire to bed after covering the scope before dawn. My wife gets up, puts on the coffee, grabs a juice - fires up the laptop, stacks an image or so enjoys her juice and breakie over a bowl of cereal, toast and M51 with photoshop.

So, I'm sure it's a short line from A to B to say we are both looking forward to what make come yet in our shared yet varied interests in this adventure called astronomy. I brought this passion to our blended family and am happy to say my wife is the greatest!

SWMBO has given up tutting or even asking. As I buy most of my kit second hand, I justify the purchases as 'well I can always sell them for what I paid'........

I'm even being allowed to build an obsy...... So she really is the best.

My scopes relegated to the shed,my wife didn't appreciate my 200p dob in the dinning room, said it stuck out. Idid offer to paint the room white so it would blend in and my jaw is just starting to heal nicely

Actually taking the step of buying a scope was my partner's idea, not mine... Although now I spend rather too much time looking at astro web shops and chatting on this forum!

Mine's currently trying to get me to sell the 12" dob and 925 cpc and put the proceeds towards an 11" edge on a cgem. She's well into the hobby and comes to all the obs sessions in the cold of winter and all the star parties. Absolutely superb - I'm well blessed ;)

Its gone from total indifference to begrudging interest very slowly. Good early views of Jupiter and more recently prominences on the Sun have made a slight dent. She likes the fact that my 10 year old is very interested and keen to learn. This helps me justify the cost and star party attendance.

I have pretty much funded my equipment so far by getting out of another money eating hobby so i havent had to justify the cost THAT much. However once i start a foray into AP i guess i will have to get creative.

My wife asked " why do you need another scope" whern I bought my 12" Dob . I tried explaining all the reasons as to why & added that I will obviously need more.

When I get round to buying my next scope (guide scope or long frac probably) and await the inevitable questions I'll just show her Roy's photo ;):grin: explaining to her how I keep things to a minimum

I think like the majority of men on this site, my wife has no idea of A the stuff I have in my dome and B more importantly how much it costs as this may well lead to divorce.

well if were being honest and although im the member online

it's the wife's hobby,i bought the scope for xmas for her and she is clueless on the computer so i do all the research and mod's reqd,also all the carrying of equipment in and out ;)

but hey im getting to like it,and my wallet doesn't hurt anymore when i sit down ;)

Luckily my OH is as into astronomy as I am so we exist in perfect harmony... apart from the fact we only have one scope so we have to 'play nicely and share' when we're out observing! :)

He's probably lurking on here somewhere so I can't say anything too nasty :)

Haha My husband freaked out when I said I was spending a grand on my 1 inch reflector. I got the cold shoulder for the two weeks it was shipping. When it got here he left and went to see the family but when he got home he said, "My telescope looks amazing! When are you getting yours?" lol

Mine bought my scope for my birthday but never quite imagined that I actually want to use it. I therefore can't use it, when she's around...

"why are you looking at all these stars, when u could be looking at me?"

*sigh high maintenance...

Archived