Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why i cant see a thing through my "Celestron Powerseeker 50AZ"

I have just bought my first ever telescope and am wondering why i cant see anything through it. I have messed about with all the fittings combining all the different eyepieces, these are the 20mm, 12 mm, 4mm, 3x barlow lens and 1.5x erecting eyepiece and still cant even see the moon, just a white blur. Was really excited to see the craters ect up close and it has just been a dissapointed hour. Could someone please tell me where i am going wrong ;)

Ignore all of your eyepieces and barlows, except for the 20mm. That's your wide angle lens, and will give you your best chance of finding it in the first place. Then it's a question of focus. The white blur indicates you're in the right place, so you need to wind your focusing knob all the way in, and slowly wind it out while looking through the eyepiece until you resolve an image. Apologies if this sounds a bit patronising, but it's best to try the basics first!

Not at all AliMac, thanks for the advice ;). I thought it looked so simple, just point and aim haha ;), but thankyou for the advice this is the first ever time i have used a telescope so any advice would be really helpfull :)

To be honest don't expect too much from this scope. It will be OK for the moon, and will possibly show you Jupiter and Saturn, and some of the bright stars but it won't give you much more...

I certainly would recommend using the barlow with the supplied 8mm eyepiece. Stick with the 20mm and enjoy the views of the moon.

Archived