Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Radders

Best Bino's To Take Abroad

Hi, I'm off to North Cyprus in July and my mate who has a place there said the skies are fantastic and clear. I would like to take my 15x70 Skymasters but I think they maybe to big for hand luggage.

Anybody recommend some good bins that will give me some good views but suitable to travel.

Radders

I'd get a decent 10x50 (and hand carry them) plus a cheap and cheerful tripod in the luggage (wrapped in towels)...

Recommendations for a 10x50? Start here.

You could take 15x70s as hand baggage or put them in the hold well padded by clothing. I wouldn't hesitate to do that. I've flown with bicycles, telescopes, all sorts.

Away from the towns you could well get a great sky there. I've cycled round/over the island a few times and absolutely love it. I'm jealous.

Olly

I just recently got some Helios fieldmaster 10x50 binos. Very happy withe them. Got them from microglobe for £40 odd quid delivered.

I have just come back from Morocco - I took a pair of Helios Naturesport 10x50. They are plenty light enough to travel with and the supplied case is good enough to protect them in hand luggage.

Unfortunately the LP and dust in Marrakesh didn't do much for the viewing but at least the skies were generally clear.

Martin

Hi

going to Cyprus you should take the 15x70 as part of my hand luggage and when your out there you will wish you have a 250mm dob, LOL

Have a great holiday

clear skies

I took my 15x70 bins (the old Omegon 15x70 = Revelation = Celestron) both to South Africa and to Australia. No problems in hand luggage at all (even with laptop in same bag). I would take my new (heavier) Helios Apollo 15x70s without hesitation.

As above, I wouldn't hesitate to take 15x70s and a tripod. I wouldn't even bother with taking them into the cabin. If they are in a hard case and well wrapped up in clothes in a suitcase they will take less of a beating than they took coming from China, I suspect! I've flown with my bike (far more vulnerable) about sixty times and suffered only trivial damage. I've also sent refractors in the hold, duly protected, though not premium ones. Those would be cabin baggage for me.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

As above, I wouldn't hesitate to take 15x70s and a tripod. I wouldn't even bother with taking them into the cabin. If they are in a hard case and well wrapped up in clothes in a suitcase they will take less of a beating than they took coming from China, I suspect! I've flown with my bike (far more vulnerable) about sixty times and suffered only trivial damage. I've also sent refractors in the hold, duly protected, though not premium ones. Those would be cabin baggage for me.

Olly

Curious, my bike isn't nearly as vulnerable as my bins, but then Dutch bikes are generally built like tanks.

...well, a bike isn't in a hard, foam lined box itself within a large suitcase. If it were then, yes, it would be less vulnerable than bins, I'd agree. Bikes have a lot of things sticking out and are very strong when dealing with stresses in certain directions. They are not strong when subjected to stresses in other directions, though. There are some good Dutch influences in the long distance touring bike I designed, I can promise you, Michael, but I tried to keep tanks out of my mind throughout the project!!! What about military binoculars, I wonder? (Steel lenses??)

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Actually, the Helios Apollo bins I have now have some tank-like properties. Very sturdy indeed. I have seen special packing cases (thick cardboard with foam inside) to take bikes on planes. By rotating the handlebars 90 deg with respect to the front wheel you remove the most awkward sources of unwanted stresses on the bike.

Regarding bullet-proof binoculars: mylar lenses?

Regarding bullet-proof binoculars: mylar lenses?
???Mylar isn't bulletproof -- did you mean kevlar (which isn't transparent)? :D Edited by tetenterre

???Mylar isn't bulletproof -- did you mean kevlar (which isn't transparent)? :D

Sorry, I was thinking laminated polycarbonate stuff like Lexan. If you were really cunning (a plan so cunning if you gave it a tail you would call it a weasel), you might be able to layer it in such a way that it becomes an APO, but that would be extremely hard to achieve.

I recently took my 15x70s to singapore in handluggage, unfortunately I took nightime clouds too.

Had mine in a bag similar to a laptop/manbag. Fine going through Heathrow customs and when mentioned at check-in the airline were fine with them going as carry on (even took a tennis racket too).

Did provide an amusing conversation with the bag screeners at Changi, me saying binoculars, they saying birdwatching, me replying no they are for stars, them going ahh and smiling pointing upwards. Singapore really does the nicest, friendly and most efficient airport, then I got back to Terminal 3......

Edited by Woking

My C8 OTA arrived safe and sound in Tenerife wrapped in a sleeping bag stuffed into a soft outer case. After that I wouldn't worry about binoculars. :)

Olly, normally when I fly I use a plane but you use your bike wow.. what a man!!

You might consider Canon image stabilized. I travel with the 12x36 IS IIs and they work really well. I also have good experience with the 10x42 IS L.

Thanks for the replies guys, think i'm gonna chance putting the Skymasters in with the luggage...wrapped up in towels etc..

Michael, you mentioned Polycarbonate Lexan..for what use? I use it everyday in my job.

Radders

Thanks for the replies guys, think i'm gonna chance putting the Skymasters in with the luggage...wrapped up in towels etc..

Michael, you mentioned Polycarbonate Lexan..for what use? I use it everyday in my job.

Radders

Lexan is used in bullet-proof glass. Bullet-proof bins could be made from it in theory. In practice, it probably makes no sense.

Lexan is used in bullet-proof glass. Bullet-proof bins could be made from it in theory. In practice, it probably makes no sense.

If you've watched Saving Private Ryan, you may remember a scene where a American sharp shooter killed a German sniper by shooting him through his rifle scope. The story would've been very different if that German had bullet proofed optics.

My inlaws live in northern Cyprus and I'll be taking my celestron 15x 70s out with me in June, I'm also looking into a scope I could take over to leave there or a dealer over there to buy a scope there.

Im off to cyprus in may and will be taking my helios 25x100 as hand luggage and tripod in suitcase, dont think i will have any trouble as long as they fit in my rucksack with my netbook and chargers just wrap them in a towel.

Regards ron.s.g