SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

mars tonight

sunshine185

My best view was with a 4mm Uwan at 440 with my 13.8 inch. The v shaped area South of the cap is Nilosyrtis & I could see two smaller dark 'spots' either side of it (one is boreasyrtis). I thought I could see a dark edge along the top right of the cap. Best I've ever seen mars.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The view of Mars through my Nexstar 8SE last night was the best I've ever had. I had to do a bit of collimation (using Regulus, which was just showing through the murk) and had to crank up the dew heater once the scope had spent a couple of hours cooling down. I was using a BST Explorer 18mm eyepiece with a revelation 2.5x apo barlow, so working at about 280x.

Here's a very rough and ready stack of what it was looking like at about midnight, shortly before I packed up.

post-21069-133877740229_thumb.jpg

same here too. got the 6" f11 out last night at the last minute and even after only half an hour of cooling (usually takes an hour or so) I could see that seeing was good and that the detail starting to pop through was superb. managed to get good detail at 228x with the 7mm BGO but preferred the smaller sharper view of the 9mm at 178x. certainly the best views I have ever had of Mars. looking forward to having a go with the 16" this weekend, masked and full aprture, if we get the chance.

Sounds like this opposition is going to be a good one ;)

Hopefully the weather will hold over the weekend so I can get some more viewing in.

I have just taken delivery of my Baader Semi-APO filter so dying to give it a try and see how much better it is compared to the Baader fringe killer.

Semi-APO filter has been described as the best Mars filter going in a few reviews.

EDIT: Ludd that's a very nice image and confirms what I saw with my own eyes last night ;)

seeing is steadniness of the atmosphere and is rarely best when the sky is completely clear. good seeing is needed for high power views, generally of bright objects.

transparency is how clear the sky is and is often associated with bad seeing. good transparency is needed for fainter objects often viewed at lower powers.

there's a very occasional night / hour when the seeing and the transparency is very good and if this combines with no moon, it's a sesnational and special night.

seeing is steadniness of the atmosphere and is rarely best when the sky is completely clear. good seeing is needed for high power views, generally of bright objects.

Ah OK... till much I have to learn - thanks!

The view of Mars through my Nexstar 8SE last night was the best I've ever had. I had to do a bit of collimation (using Regulus, which was just showing through the murk) and had to crank up the dew heater once the scope had spent a couple of hours cooling down. I was using a BST Explorer 18mm eyepiece with a revelation 2.5x apo barlow, so working at about 280x.

Here's a very rough and ready stack of what it was looking like at about midnight, shortly before I packed up.

This image has given me a lot of hope that i may actually get to see Mars as something other then a tiny red dot.

Yep, once collimated the 8SE really delivered the goods the other night. Let's hope we get more of the same conditions soon - although it's clear here now, I don't think we'll have the same steady air.

Was out earlier yesterday than the week before, and Mars was showing a different face, what I could see. On good moments, could see the polar cap and a suggestion of a dark streak in the southern hemisphere but no other features. Took the Mak out and the wind was blowing it or the atmosphere around a bit much, looked like it was swirling one minute, then boiling another. Then clear. Rinse and repeat. (and this is after an hour's cool down going from the porch to the garden). Maybe I need a more sturdy mount for the Mak (any excuse)

Managed to get about an hour in before the clouds dutifully stopped play - what are the chances that the forecast turns out right :) Should have gone out earlier and had more of a look around the moon :)

Not having much luck tonight. Have the 106mm apo out and all I can see is a bright disk, no detail at all apart from a hint of the polar cap :D

Just goes to show how dependent it is on seeing conditions. Has clouded over now anyway :headbang:

Stu

Maclspring,

Don't feel bad, as I've had similar frustrating experiences. In my case though, it's sometimes been due to light pollution (as I live in the heavily light-polluted suburbs of Chicago). Keep it up and you'll likely catch a glimpse of what you're looking for!

Got my first look at Mars tonight so I'm happy, but I get zero detail.

Started at 10mm, then put the Hyperion zoom in at 8, then tried the x2 and x3 barlow and while it was a nice bright orange disc I couldn't make out anything.

Seeing could be pants tthough but it everything has stopped twinkling. I'm gonna go back out though.

Also first time the scope has been out since November.

:)

And I'm enjoying it.

Archived