Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

STARWAVE ED 110

NBASTRO

I was after the refractor experience so after shopping around I came across the STARWAVE 110 ED from Altair Astro. I did have a good look at the 102mm from Ian King which had been my first choice but then decided to go for the 110 mm for its slight performance increase for visual and photographic use.

I will say that for the extra 8 mm you get a much heavier and larger scope. Having had a look around to see what manufacturers were producing ED 110 refractors sort of re assured me that the lens unit would most probably be off one of these already produced models.

My first light experience from it was quite impressive. A well contrasted and bright image of Jupiter and its moons was a welcome reward. The moon also looked very clear and sharp. Im comparing the view from those I get through my Orion Optics SPX 250 Newtonian. It handled high magnification well and for the short time I used it didn’t get any colour fringing.

The focuser is indeed very substantial, steady and easily adjusted and locked into place. It’s doubly rotatable which makes it very easy to set up.

Build quality in the main is very good, no marks, no dust in tube just a few adjustments to the focuser to even up some of the tension screws and it all works very smoothly.

I got the REDUCER / FLATTENER at the same time and have yet to try this out. Must check the thread to see if its T mount as this was mentioned on another post regarding the STARWAVE 102 mm.

Only noticeable slight niggle that doesn’t affect operation was that the dew shields bezel had not been put on squarely at the scope end. See picture.

It does come with a packing come carry case as a bonus.

Will give it a full test and take some images through it next clear skies.

Any way here are some images from un boxing to pulling it apart.

post-32626-133877738561_thumb.jpg Case inside, plastic bag removed.

post-32626-133877738564_thumb.jpg Telescope in Case also with bag removed.

post-32626-133877738567_thumb.jpg The Telescope on the case, dewshield extended.

post-32626-13387773857_thumb.jpg Reducer and focuser parts dissasembled

post-32626-133877738573_thumb.jpg Lens close up.

post-32626-133877738577_thumb.jpg Down the tube from the eyepiece. Note paint more grey than black.

post-32626-13387773858_thumb.jpg The reducer

Appologies for the page layout.

Will post more when I can get out again to give it a full propper test.

Cheers NB

post-32626-133877738559_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877738562_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877738565_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877738568_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877738572_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877738575_thumb.jpg

Evening NB

Great scope , i managed to purchase the starwave 102 just over a week ago with focal reducer , managed to use it once so far but was very well impressed with the views of Jupiter i had with it.

They do seem very well built indeed , didnt have any alignment problems with my dewshield , it might be worth given Altair Astro a ring to see if they recommend anything i would have thought there must be away of making a slight adjustment to get it aligned correctley ?.

I to have the focal reducer as well to try my hand at some astro photography in the coming months , but need to confirm the adaptor for the focal reducer , i did notice that Earl had mentioned on one of the other threads that he was using a M48 thread and various adaptors.

Would be interested to see what you are looking at so as i dont make the incorrect purchase , i will be attaching my canon 1000d to mine.

Cant wait for the next clear nights to get some more observing in.

Best wishes

Edited by sound

Hi

I had a look around to see what sort of adators were needed and came to the conclusion that the reducer itself probably uses the same lens as found in the skywatcher reducers for their telescopes.

I found these have to connect to the SLR by the same M48 thread as the reducers for the STARWAVE telescopes.

Skywatcher produce a SLR to M48 adaptor thats the same as the one supplied by Altair Astro. Ordered one anyway to add to my adaptor collection From Harrisons. SkyWatcher Canon M48 T Ring Adaptor

Will see how it goes together when I get it.

I do like the focuser it good to have all the available adjustments. Although you do have to make sure that all the screw up parts are screwed well together as I did have the expierence of my camera in the diagonal swinging around to the drop out position but luckily being held in by the thumb screw.

Not bothered about the Dew shield bezal alignment as it doesnt affect the operation and I didnt pay teleview prices for the scope. Clear sky for a bit later so might give it another go.

Good luck with your 80 mm and hope you get a chance to get out with it.

Cheers

Neil

HI There

The adaptor does have a 48 x 0.75 thread. Its the same as a 2" filter thread which is interesting as the eyepiece holder that comes with the telescope will fit onto the reducer if you want a visual try with the reducer. Not actually tried it but could be interesting.

I must check the distance of the focal plane to see if it some to where it should on my Canon 450D. As far as I have seen a Canon DSLR requires 44mm of backfocus from the bayonet mount flange to the CCD Chip.

Some pics of the adaptor. A filter is fitted to the adaptor to show the thread.

I now await a practical test to see if it all matches up. Looking fairly hopeful at the moment.

Neil

post-32626-13387774208_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742087_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742093_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742099_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742105_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742113_thumb.jpg

Some pictures I took the other night.

Taken through a 2x 2" barlow, SW Light pollution filter.

Venus, Jupiter and the Moon.

Some colour fringing probably more due to the barlow and slightly out of focus.

I have noticed that the focus and the eyepiece-barlow setup does play a role in colour fringing on bright objects. Will be looking forward to having a good play around with my setup to see how it can be improved.

post-32626-133877742135_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742137_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742144_thumb.jpg

post-32626-133877742147_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have noticed now on ALTAIR ASTRO site for this telescope have added

- We classify this telescope as a "Semi-APO" and it significantly outperforms an achromat refractor of equivalent focal length at an incredible price. With a Contrast Booster filter to remove residual chromatic aberration, it will compare to an APO costing several times the price on the moon and planets.

Pitty this wasnt clear at the time of purchasing or I would have gone for a WO or a triplet. That now explains the BLUE fringing a bit more. Not good for bright starfields or objects. A bit late now as I would have returned it if I would have known sooner.

Looks like I will have to spend more now buying additional filters to try and reduce this problem.

It does perform well otherwise and will be posting some more images soon.

I noticed the change of wording last night as well. I'd be interested to see your next set of results, as I recently got the Starwave ED 102 version. Only really used it for visual work so far, and whilst I like the build-quality and visuals of the ED I am not convinced its a huge amount better than my TAL (that could be a reflection on my limited experience and knowledge so far, and I have not attempted any serious photography with the ED yet). I do like the big focusser though - feels reassuringly solid when I hang my dslr and/or hyperions etc. off it.

Have noticed now on ALTAIR ASTRO site for this telescope have added

- We classify this telescope as a "Semi-APO" and it significantly outperforms an achromat refractor of equivalent focal length at an incredible price. With a Contrast Booster filter to remove residual chromatic aberration, it will compare to an APO costing several times the price on the moon and planets.

Pitty this wasnt clear at the time of purchasing or I would have gone for a WO or a triplet. That now explains the BLUE fringing a bit more. Not good for bright starfields or objects. A bit late now as I would have returned it if I would have known sooner.

Looks like I will have to spend more now buying additional filters to try and reduce this problem.

It does perform well otherwise and will be posting some more images soon.

Shocking ! too say the least, If I had purchased that scope It would have been sent it back purely that it was not advertised as a 'Semi APO' when bought... talk about playing fast & loose with the words :)

If you use a CLS Clip light pollution filter as I do for imaging with my Canon DSLR,

it has the added benefit of being a very good minus violet filter and virtually illuminates blue colour fringing.

Lee

• 3 years later...

Having just acquired a 102 triplet myself, I'd agree it performs well. Only used it for visual, and with the deplorable weather we've had of late, even that has been in a few short snatches. Nice to hear a positive comment about Altair too.

Mind you, it seems to have taken 3 years!

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

• 5 years later...

Another six years on, anything any better out there instead for about the same cost?  I have a HEQ5 pro with nothing on it and its seems such a waste, just for general observing with occasional deep space planets.

Edited by Mike J
Additional information

If you can find one used, the Vixen ED 103s and ED115s are cracking "proper" Apo refractors..for an ED103s which cost new up to £1600-£1700, expect to pay c £600-£800. 

In a different league altogether from Altairs' offerings, much closer to Takahashi optical quality...😊

Dave

• Like 3

9 hours ago, F15Rules said:

In a different league altogether from Altairs' offerings, much closer to Takahashi optical quality...😊

Dave

I now have a Vixen ED103 S in immaculate condition for which I paid circa £700 and though the Tak FC100 which I had previously owned was a stunningly good scope, I have not missed it, the Vixen being, to my eyes, as good.

• Thanks 1