SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Up to 548 galaxies

mdstuart

Just updating my log of seen galaxies in a 10 inch in typical town skies in the UK..

I am now up to 548 :p...awaiting another purge through Virgo soon!

Some facts from my analysis..

262 can be seen without averted vision being applied.

264 have a surface brightness of less than mag 13.

283 are larger than 3 mins of arc accross at their widest point.

292 are spiral galaxies.

The bulk of those seen are between 20 and 80 million light years away.

44 are edge on galaxies..

PDA LIST OF NIGHT SKY OBJECTS lists them all by constellation but the individual link details are still being added when I get time!

That moons back now so a pause in the survey!

Mark (the galaxy hunter!)

Mark

that is an impressive list. The PDA list is a useful link. I have a 10" and reasonably dark skies and when i locate those galaxies, its more a case of detecting them rather than observing fine details of their structure. Is it a case of training my eye, or spending a lot of time 'absorbing' them. Or is 10" not enough for fine details on all but the brightest galaxies.

Thanks.

well done by the way!

Bart

That is one big haul, nice report..:)

have to agree with the other comments..an outstanding list Mark.

Wonder how many civilizations, past and present, may have been within the galaxies you've observed? or I am the only one who see's this as one reason why they are so captivating?

No I think that about sums it up for me. I often think about how many possible civilizations I've just flicked across..:)

I can end up thinking some well daft stuff whilst looking into forever..:p

Bart..

I can relate to your comments. Most faint galaxies are only just visible with averted vision with time and effort and detecting any details, even the shape sometimes is almost impossible.

Those graded 1 or more on my lists I can see without use of averted vision. These you can identify the shape and some characteristics but not spiral arms etc.

Once you get to a grade 2/3 you can sometimes make out the bright core but it is only on a handfull perhaps 5-10 where you can see any hint of structure like arms etc in my scope at my location with my experience level.

I am sure over time I will pcik up more in the same way as I could not see the Jupiter red spot but now its obvious to me...

Mark

Bart..

I can relate to your comments. Most faint galaxies are only just visible with averted vision with time and effort and detecting any details, even the shape sometimes is almost impossible.

Those graded 1 or more on my lists I can see without use of averted vision. These you can identify the shape and some characteristics but not spiral arms etc.

Once you get to a grade 2/3 you can sometimes make out the bright core but it is only on a handfull perhaps 5-10 where you can see any hint of structure like arms etc in my scope at my location with my experience level.

I am sure over time I will pcik up more in the same way as I could not see the Jupiter red spot but now its obvious to me...

Mark

Mark,

I know what you mean. The GRS is quite obvious to me now, it wasn't previously, mind you, The move from a 6" to a well collimated 10" helped, I'm sure.

The reason I ask is if you have have ever read 'Astronomical wonders of the Universe' they describe M51 as showing the spiral arms with a 10" Newt in reasonably dark skies. I would have thought I have reasonably dark skies with a NELM of between 5.5 and 5.7 and so I hoped to see M51 with a bit more detail. Yes I can see the main structure and the bright element at the end of the arm, but not the arm itself and am a bit dissapointed. Maybe an NELM of 5.7 isn't dark enough. These skies allow me to detect many many galaxies, which I love, I just wish I could see more detail.

I am currently on a major drive to find dark skies.

My wife isn't gone on the idea of me setting up in the middle of nowhere for fear of me being attacked by yobbos/bogeymen/etc.

But darker skies are calling me like a Syren and I can't resist the call........

Have to say again, that is some count you have amassed, well done!

Bart

Bart

Your experience is the same as mine mag 5.5 skies and only the prominent parts of the M51 arm system is visible. I am sure with patience and more skill perhaps high power and good seeing we will both pick out more.

Mark

I'm somewhere in the high forties, but love tracking them down and cant wait for Virgo to come round again

A bit cheeky....but do you have a list of your grade1s or direct vision ones?

Archived