Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What to look for?

Stargazer Jack

You won't go far wrong with a 1100D or if you can find one SH 1000D, or 450D. high MP is not such a big thing for astrophotography. Live view is a definite advantage and there are several laptop control packages that work with Canon and make life much easier. I use APT for this and it's great. The smaller, lighter entry level cameras put less strain on your focuser and mount than the all singing all dancing models.

I don't think you will reach focus with our 130M though. But nice widefield images can be had using the 18mm end of the kit lens and 30sec exposures.

I have a Nikon, so I use that, but if I were in the market for a new camera, it would probably be a Canon. Canon seems to be oriented toward the astro-photo nitch market, where Nikon is much more so toward the semi to professional general subject market.

The Nikon is a great camera, don't get me wrong. But Canon seems to be the first choice among astro photographers.

Don't forget, there are several CCD cameras out there that can do almost the same thing the DSLRs can, ( in some ways, better ) but they are strictly for astro use.

Good luck in your choice. Jim S.

Archived