Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An example of jumping on the bandwagon due to stargazing live

ccbmedic

Found this when scouting for a bargain. Just goes to show how people are cashing in on this hobby and driving the prices sky high for the genuine enthusiast. Ok its an 8 inch with a few additional extras but come on...Throw a dog a bone, its used and as advertised a couple of years old. So what Brian Cox signed it. As much as I like Brian Cox and the way in which he's bringing new peope to the hobby its by no way something that I or even the majority of us would want scribbled over our OTA....Or am I wrong??

''I bought this telescope a couple of years ago brand new from a Telescope shop near to Sir Patrick Moores home whom I work with on The Sky at Night''

hahahaha Get a grip Sir.....Stop name dropping and just try to sell your equipment without duping some poor soul!!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Chris:icon_salut:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what your all saying about the price and I have to agree its a decent starting one. I was just highlighting a point about jumping on the bandwagon. Name dropping for a start. When I was in Iraq I took a little scope out with me for the 'War Phase' and I tell you the skies were amazing, I've never seen stars like it anywhere but during that time I had Richard Branson, Tony Blair and some American fit dancers all peer through it. Perhaps I should have got them to scribble something on the ota...I could have been quids in.

Chris

I agree with the others. It is a decent starting price, and it has been signed. What is he supposed to say about a Scope that has graffiti on it. I suppose the dropping og hints at it being on a tv show or close to St Patrick Moores home are a bit much but if he has receipts and Provenance then again, all he is doing is providing an accurate description of the item to maximise his sale.

I too have items in my possesion signed by famous people. Mainly F1 drivers past and present. The likes of Jim Clark, Ronnie Peterson, Nigel Mansell and Stirling Moss. I would never ever sell the Jim Clark or Ronnie Peterson stuff as they are my F1 gods, but if I was going to, I would put as much information as to their prevenance as possible.

Personally I don't think the autograph will affect the final price, one way or another.

I guess the seller is welcome to "market" the scope however he / she wants but I would prefer to see a photo or two and some words about the condition of the optics than those of Brian Cox writing his name !

The market will decide, as they say !

Don't forget he needs to state the existence of Brian Cox's autograph in the item description. Otherwise people can return the scope because the item description did not mention the cosmetic 'damage'.

He can either say Brian Cox's autograph is on it and make that a selling point or he could described the scope as cosmetically challenged - Some bloke wrote his name all over it.

Sheesh....No problem as such, was just highlighting the fact of people jumping on the bandwagon with stargazing live then flogging stuff to cash in on the craze.....This was mentioned in several previous threads...Not added by myself I may add. I just came upon this ad and thought Id post an example of people cashing in. Yes its a decent ad, yes the equipment is decent, yes the extras are great, yes at present the price is great for what your getting and yes the description is maximising the sale......But like I pointed out.....Jumping on the bandwagon with stargazing live and name dropping!!! That is all!!!

My missus would buy it because he's a "pop star" not a Particle Physicist.

Hahahaha, my Mrs says the exact same about him....'Oh its him from D:Ream :headbang:' She doesnt quite grasp the fact that hes a Physicist even after watching him and from time to time picking one of his books up after I've left it on the table.

Just seen this! Thanks for the majority consensus that the ad is fine and reasonable! I did wonder what the astro-community might make of it once spotted - but to be fair I don't get chance to use it and I'm hardly not going to mention that Brian signed it and it was used on set (yes the same one that chap from Mac AstroSoc was leaning against - grrrr! ;op) am I now! I know mentioning the Sky at Night connection may be seen as name-dropping - but as you will see if you look I've never actually sold anything before on Ebay and my friend who sells a lot told me that with only 11 feedback ratings and never having sold anything then people may not want to buy from me - so I thought it may reassure people that I'm actually quite trustworthy! (Honest!). I think saying I'm jumping on the bandwagon is a tad harsh though maybe! - I have worked on and helped set up both series from scratch afterall - I allowed my scope to be used as a prop on each of them and so if I want to sell it as I don't get the time to use it then surely I can (and mention what it has been used on!). At least to compromise then I didn't put the pic of Jonathan Ross with it up - I think I'd have been lynched! ;o)

Very interesting reading all the comments though and many thanks for them.

Keaton

Archived