SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SKYLINER-200 203mm (8") f/1200 Parabolic Dobsonian accessories

So I have decided to get an 8" skywatcher dobsonian next week as it has got amazing reviews.

My question to you is, what would you advice me on other accessories for this scope and a starter amateur astronomer? I would like to try see jupiter, moon, saturn, other planets and deep sky objects in the best quality possible?

How about collimating, is there anything I can built myself with a 35mm canister to collimate the scope? My budget is quite low at the moment as I just paid for the scope.

What about filters? I live in an area with quite a bit of light pollution, would a light pollution filter do a great job, or is it hopeless?

I know the review of astro-photography on this scope has been quite negative but I'am gonna give it a go anyway with a standard compact camera. Any advice for this?

Quite a lot of questions and I probably got more! But ill save that for another time :D

The scope should be in good shape when it arrives, my 150 was. I checked the collimation by making a small hole in the focuser dustcap (now covered with a small piece of tape), it has stayed spot on.

I'd recommend a couple of books. Turn Left at Orion and Sky and Telescope Pocket Star Atlas.

For photography I wouldn't use a camera but instead use a webcam

Thank you blinky, Ive got a standard webcam somewhere in the shed, i might take that apart and attach a 35mm canister to fit on the telescope (been youtubing lol) and see how that works out. I will eventually spend some more money for quality astro-photography but because im new in this I think I will just have to experiment lots of things to get my astro experience going.

Thank you all for the quick and helpful response, Ill add everything to my list and have a look into it. Obviously any other tips are welcome!

You can use a torch you already have just paint the glass with red nail polish or a red marker pen.

Another alternative which I used on a maglight I already had, was to wrap a red sweet wrapper over the glass lens. It works a treat.

Fantastic scope, I loved mine.. Moon/LP filter, Cheshire collimator, Some wide angle ep's and a copy of turn left at orion and your all set for a long time.

For photography I wouldn't use a camera but instead use a webcam

by the way blinky..... how do you attach webcam on the scope, can u still use eyepieces and barlows and stuff??

Archived