Narrowband

Venus Feb 25th

Space Cowboy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The softer image is very nice, is there some cloud detail showing?

How long an avi did you shoot, and how many frames did you stack?

Thanks Chris. There does appear to be some detail though a UV filter would bring more out I'm not convinced its worth the expense.

This image was from a 12000 avi taken at 60fps of which 1500 were stacked using AS!2 which is so much faster than registax. Took a couple more shorter avis but cloud was creeping across all the time.

Thanks for your comments guys!

Its a good image Stuart, i wasnt aware straight colour shots show any detail, but i could be wrong if anyone knows ?

Rick Shrantz was taking some belters a few years back with a spc mono and schuler

uv, you may not be convinced, but Rick proved to me two things, not only is it worthwhile done well. But venus is very neglected with its mysteriouse uv cloud system. That do not really show up in colour. Though the blue may show hints i think

Heres some of Ricks images, ive also seen a IR uv false colour image recently that left me speechless. ill post if i find it. We may have to agree to dissagree on the merits of a £80 filter, But i guess its more expensive if you dont already own a mono, £80 doesnt seem a lot to me to open up a world that would be virtually invisable without one. A violet filter might be a cheaper option though will need IR blocking filter too. check out the group of images at the bottom of this link pin sharp clouds with a camera and filter that is cheaper than your DFK alone

http://astroforum.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2303

Its a good image Stuart, i wasnt aware straight colour shots show any detail, but i could be wrong if anyone knows ?

Rick Shrantz was taking some belters a few years back with a spc mono and schuler

uv, you may not be convinced, but Rick proved to me two things, not only is it worthwhile done well. But venus is very neglected with its mysteriouse uv cloud system. That do not really show up in colour. Though the blue may show hints i think

Heres some of Ricks images, ive also seen a IR uv false colour image recently that left me speechless. ill post if i find it. We may have to agree to dissagree on the merits of a £80 filter, But i guess its more expensive if you dont already own a mono, £80 doesnt seem a lot to me to open up a world that would be virtually invisable without one. A violet filter might be a cheaper option though will need IR blocking filter too. check out the group of images at the bottom of this link pin sharp clouds with a camera and filter that is cheaper than your DFK alone

AstroForum :: Imaging Venus with a ToUcam

They are indeed impressive images Neil! £80 filter? All the ones I've seen have been over £100....maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Maybe I should do this and to hell with the warranty! : :p

Telescope Reviews: IS DFK 21AUO4.AS UV/IR Cut Filter Removal Mod

They are indeed impressive images Neil! £80 filter? All the ones I've seen have been over £100....maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Maybe I should do this and to hell with the warranty! : :p

Telescope Reviews: IS DFK 21AUO4.AS UV/IR Cut Filter Removal Mod

The reason im encouraging you so much is because you seem to be getting good venus results in colour, uv may well show more, not sure of your imaging location if your shooting venus unobstructed, but here im getting about 20 mins before its below my roof, the results are disturbed during those 20 mins im getting ( unlike before i changed my location ) its not good.

will likely get better results with the morning showings later in the year, But untill then, im certainly interested in what you can achieve, the Schuler may well have gone up in price Stuart, i dont know what it is now. I purchased mine a few years ago.

I now have the more expensive astrodon, which so far doesnt seem as good as my older schuler, but i can not be sure of this yet, time will tell.

The astrodon has better transmission apparently.

The problem you will find is, the filters are very dark, a 10" is a must for them, even then you will be shocked how dim the image is, but as you can see on my site, i was getting better and better results. And Ricks are something special.

If i was you i would get a morgans spc modded by Andy Ellis, keep your dfk for colour, get a filter, then you have a great bw camera for venus and lunar and IR on planets. And a good colour cam. no filter wheel needed.

But i agree its all money we dont have, im in the same boat. But your imaging is good enough, and crying out for the tools, i am just pointing this out to you. its up to you to decide if you think that its worthwhile. First chance i get im trying for those 20 mins again, if i get a good result ill post. You look like you will get good results, but dont blame me if you dont. you know the score, its all hit and miss in this game.Just hope im helping you along the way

Your knowledge is always appreciated Neil.

Looks like the Sculler filters have been discontinued and the Astrodon ones are £140. I shall resist temptation for the time being. :p

I can shoot Venus down to 20 degrees from my location the only obstruction being clouds which have been in view on both Venus sessions preventing me capturing any "clean" avis. Next time may use the b-mask to focus or even use Jupiter as my focussing has been rushed because of the clouds. Who knows if i can do this when Venus is over 30 degrees I may eek out some more detail. 60fps is a must for sure grabbing as my frames as possible during the short moments of good seeing. Such an advantage over a slower spc webcam.

Here is a 30 sec section of the avi to show the seeing quality.

Your knowledge is always appreciated Neil.

Looks like the Sculler filters have been discontinued and the Astrodon ones are £140. I shall resist temptation for the time being. :p

I can shoot Venus down to 20 degrees from my location the only obstruction being clouds which have been in view on both Venus sessions preventing me capturing any "clean" avis. Next time may use the b-mask to focus or even use Jupiter as my focussing has been rushed because of the clouds. Who knows if i can do this when Venus is over 30 degrees I may eek out some more detail. 60fps is a must for sure grabbing as my frames as possible during the short moments of good seeing. Such an advantage over a slower spc webcam.

Here is a 30 sec section of the avi to show the seeing quality.

you would be performing miracles shooting venus at 60 fps at a decent size, such is the dim image of a uv filter, im down to 15 at a push 30 fps with a low focal length.

venus doesnt really suffer rotation blur i got around the problem shooting 10 fps for longer to collect more frames. hence why i still suggested a spc mono, the higher frame rates you mention are not really readily usable with a 10" in uv im finding. A 14 " should fair better but so will its poorer perfomance of shooting turbulance in dusk. But i can see why your suggesting this, under normal planetary situations your completely correct. Interesting video it does actually look far worse than i thought after seeing your shots, the power of 60 fps no less. The only problem is for me personally there would come a point of boredem getting essentially featureless discs in colour. The interest will start to wane, like uranus i guess. But unlike uv good venus showings dont happen a lot. I can understand anyone not wanting to invest. But as Rick showed the rewards can be great, each has to make there own decision. I love venus in uv, i found it as exciting or possibly more than jupiter

Okay, think I may have got the wrong end of the stick here....I've been assuming that my DFK would need the in-built IR filter removing but hang on...that's only if I used a IR pass filter this is a UV filter so can it work with the IR filter in place and the Venus UV filter on top?

Got my answer in another forum. It appears a colour chip is not sensitive enough to use with a UV filter.

Telescope Reviews: UV light and DBK618 bayer matrix

wondered why you was persisting with the idea, Mono is a must yes.sorry i thought you knew that, again my constant comments of a morgans spc fitted with any BW chip even the older chip would work ok, and is cheaper. long captures with no rotation blur are possible Stuart

Neil,

Can you explain why "Mono is a must" for Venus with a UV (pass ? ) filter?

I can think of a reason, but would like to hear the conventional wisdom on this.

A UV filter is beyond my means ATM so it's not really vital that I know NOW :p

But later in the year things might improve.

It seems theres both sensetivety issues, and spectral issues to consider.Theres a interesting discussion here Rob.The bayer Matrix in colour cams dont help. Its interesting that imaging source dont consider there cameras good enough in the uv, (even mono ones ) which is both odd and pretty much moot, as dedicated uv cameras are not exactly all over the place. Many very nice uv clouds are being picked up with the chips that imaging source use, so although i feel there being a little harsh on there statements they might be correct that these chips are not the best. But hey we dont have much choice as far as i see it.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/73463-dfk21-dfk31-nogo-venus-uv-filter.html

Archived