Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Flaxinator

clear skies tonight?

Conjunction of Venus and the Moon looks very pretty at the moment with Jupiter just lagging behind :D

Yes Steve, a very pretty pairing, and some good ISS passes tonight too :D

Part cloudy here though :(

First light for me tonight and clear skys so far.

Its gonna be a long but very interesting Saturday night for me!

Venus and the Moon look great together, the earthshine too is illuminating the whole disk very clearly.

Scope cooled and ready to go, mount tracking the moon for some filming after dinner.

%$£"!*& it where did all that damn cloud come from, went out the front and it's as far as the eye can see.

I wouldn't mind but it's been clear all day long. :D

Moon was looking really good tonight as well!

Just got back in here, have been having a really good look at the moon. The proximity to Venus does look really good in the bins def worth a look. Tyr

AAAARGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Had the scopes out cooling down all day ready, Just started to polar align them as I still hadn't had a clear enough night to do it. Just about got the 120 done and then those damn clouds rolled in.

Going to leave them out and hopefully the cloud will clear, but this weather is really getting me down.

Still good enough to check out the moon and Venus with my bins though

Edited by jfox61

ah they have indeed just appeared, commiserations jfox61.

Just been photographing Venus and the Moon (with camera and 400mm lens). A bit of thin cloud still but I can make out the phase of venus in the pic. Not sure about getting the scope out yet.

As soon as I pointed the bare mount North the clouds rolled in and haven't budged. I've left the mount and a couple of scopes outside just in case. Same happened last night as well, got 3 subs on M81 and it clouded over and then cleared up when I was too tire to wait up any longer !

talked too soon, was out for 30mins before cloud rolled in. Just managed to see Venus, Jupiter and the moon with naked eyes, no point putting scope on them as I have trees to the southwest of me and could only see them thru the trees :D

Left scope out, will throw tarp over it if clouds dont go. will try and see if clouds have gone at 1am and take a peek at mars and saturn.

goto won't align, temp had dropped too so I can't see the screen on the handset as it's cooled down so much it looks like gobbledegook

Clear here ATM. Though looking at the temperature reports on accuweather.com for all the nearby towns, it seems that 10 miles away is cloudy.

The temp. Here is reported as 0° whereas just to the south it's 6°

Managed to see Mars at around 11.30 last night in between the clouds, before it came totally overcast. Wake up to find clouds have cleared again in the morning, the clouds are mocking me i'm sure :D

Very clear in South Wales last night, while most of Wales was rather intoxicated after beating England i spent my evening down the coast with the mrs, a flask of coffee and my bins, awesome night.

Edited by Lenny147

It seems the clouds dispersed in Reading sometime early on during the night. I woke up at 2am and looked outside to see it clear and Mars standing high in the sky. I spent just over an hour observing Mars and Saturn before the clouds returned to remind me it really was time I went back to bed.

Glad I made the most of it, the BBC weather indicates it's now going to be overcast for the rest of the week here.

Tyr