Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is the next step up from an EQ6?

ncjunk

Hi,

I want a load capacity of 30 kg for photography, working load capacity that will not affect the mount and not quoted maximum.

Also i would like a pe of under 10.

So what options are there? Anything around 4000?

I was looking at one for around 5000 but with no goto so then the question is whether i can automate it myself via a pc as i have no need for a hand controller.

Finally, it will be going in the shed observatory so it will be fixed and no need for trips to dark skies or anything.

Thanks,

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

This is my question too - although my requirement is portable, ~30Kg for future proofing and not look like it's been built by a 5 year old with lego (if a 'cute' power switch got Rick his EQ6 nod at SGL6.. and Sandrine already making points to the colour being important..).

My opinion is if the EQ6 is the top of the beginner bracket, there's a mid bracket about 4-7K and then there's the 10K+ high end bracket. Add to this - if you're forking out this money, and getting the 'business case' approved with the other half then it has to return the goods in performance for 5-8 years - especially if you're looking at adding gear to make the most of it.

I'd like it controllable from the PC too, one-man portable (with tripod option) for star parties, option of pier and manage a 30Kg AP load (none of this only coping with 1/2 the payload for AP) with a 5 arc sec pe that can improved with guiding.

I do have a long term plan of putting a big mirror scope on it.

Sandrine veto'd the purchase of a tig welder and milling rig.. for which I could build my own stand and KD reflector..

This is my question too

My opinion is if the EQ6 is the top of the beginner bracket, there's a mid bracket about 4-7K and then there's the 10K+ high end bracket.

Thats what i was thinking as well, the mid range bracket, and the point you made about working life is a good one. I won't be allowed to purchase anything else after this so it needs to meet my current needs and furture requiements (i'll survive if it cant take an array of c14's though ;-D...)

Hi,

I want a load capacity of 30 kg for photography, working load capacity that will not affect the mount and not quoted maximum.

Also i would like a pe of under 10.

So what options are there? Anything around 4000?

I was looking at one for around 5000 but with no goto so then the question is whether i can automate it myself via a pc as i have no need for a hand controller.

Finally, it will be going in the shed observatory so it will be fixed and no need for trips to dark skies or anything.

Thanks,

I have no experience with expensive mounts, but I have done diy before and have a 'long term project' to build a big one

(I'm currently using a little but adequate cg-5 asgt plus renovating and old fullerscope mkIII)

I personally wouldn't spend £K's on a mount but would build one myself - e.g. pillow block based on a design like these

Model 5 Telescope Mount by OpticCraft Machining

I already have 2" stainless steel bars, 2" pillow block's (they are a lot bigger in size than you think a 2" bearing would be :D

plus cast iron hub taper lock's. You couldn't lift this lot together

(plus you would need some steel or thick aluminium plate)

So fit a custom made worm and wheel plus motors and you could probably do this for approx £1K

Of course if money was no object then I probably would buy something

The Mesu 2 is by far the best mount I've ever used and no visiting mount has yet matched it. I've had no Paramounts come to stay (there's a surprise!) but APs, yes.

The payload is nominally 90 Kg and the one that I'm using laughs at a 14 inch ODK. It would clearly carry far more. When I launched into imaging at 2.4 metres of FL I was quite certain the whole issue would be about getting the guiding up to scratch and keeping it there. With the Mesu 2, once the PHD parameters were set (this was not just a matter of running calibration) it is as simple as Pressing Here Dummie! I think 24 consecutive 30 minute subs speak for themselves. The low PE, total lack of backlash and very slow deviation mean that 5 second guide subs are ideal and these average out the seeing, so further improving the performance of the mount.

The mount I'm using is not mine and I have absolutely no vested interest here at all. If it didn't work I'd be frankly negative, but it does.

As long as you are observatory based I'd recommend it without hesitation on all fronts. I believe Bern at Modern Astronomy will be importing the Mesu and that's good news. By all means PM me for why I say this. (Anyone can make a mistake but but letting me down really badly is something a dealer only gets a chance to do to me once.)

Olly

Olly - in terms of portability? Is the mesu a screw based adjustment or a lock/unlock clutch for polar alignment?

I looked at the Paramount MX specs, they're interesting but the 7-8K (+1K for tripod+bits) price tag seems high once it's imported considering you don't get some important extras for portability - considering it's for portability. Yes you get their software and perhaps it can do this by scope alignment..

Only thing is having encoding on the axis seems a good idea.. I'm definitely one for declutch and use the redspot, then the vixen for finding things..

Thanks Olly,

And thanks tiddles...just saw your links.

That mesu2 looks absolutely perfect in all respects. At around 5000€, 100kg load capacity and 4 arcseconds peak to peak...whats the catch?

If it works as well as you say, and i have no reason to doubt you, then we have a winner!

Berns always been faultless with my purchases so good to know he may be suppling them.

Just need to sort out the money side...hopefully for june this year..

Archived